Star Lounger
    Thanks

new motherboard with onboard video card (home sp1)

I was having trouble with my video card. I installed a new driver and so far everything "seems" ok. Since I am not sure exactly what is creating the issues, I cannot force a recreation of the problem at will, to see if that was the fix I needed. I would have to wait to see if it happens again. Since my warranty is up Dec. 15th., time is of the essence at this point and I cannot play the wait and see game.
    I have been in touch with the mfg. of my computer regarding this and they have decided that the problem may be with the video card itself and are going to replace this under warranty just incase this is indeed what is wrong. The whole motherboard has to be replaced since the video card is onboard.

I have talked to the tech. at the store where this is going to be done and wanted to know if I would loose everything on my harddrive. he said maybe, maybe not.
    I am not concerned to much with what is saved on it, I can save all that now to reinstall after. But:
    I have a router that links my computer to my husbands for internet access only..no file sharing involved. I had a terrible time trying to configure it and eventually called someone in to do this for me. Not for free I might add.
    I would really like to avoid having to pay someone (again) to configure all this.

Does anyone know if there is a way that the tech. can install the new mobo without my hardrive and all its goodies being eraced??? If there is, I want the tech to be aware of anything that can be done to accomplish this.
    Thanks for any input you can offer on this.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: new motherboard with onboard video card (home sp1)

1st off there is NO REASON and I mean NO REASON why he should be loosing anything on that Hard Drive, if all he is doing is changing out the Motherboard.2nd: Nothings changing in configuration, same Motherboard and Model, it's just new. And even if it were a different Motherboard it's just a matter of the New Hardware Wizard doing it's job as usual. For this guy to even say that,,,, concerns me deeply about his skills. I have built and repaired many Computers and that includes changing out Motherboards.There is no reason for him to loose anything on your Hard Drive. He is simply unplugging your Hardware and Power Supply, removing the Motherboard, installing a new one and plugging things back in, such as Memory, PCI Cards and ETC. When he fires up the Computer it will recognize the Hardware and thats it. All your settings and things should still be in place so that when you get it home and hook up to the router, you should be good to go. I have computers hooked up to a router the same way.
    Is this the only guy that can do this for you?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to put a strong second behind Cowboy on this one. While there is always a small chance of disaster with computers in general, in a situation like this it's no more likely than if the hard drive went belly up in your living room. I would grill the tech hard about why the answer you received was "maybe, maybe not." Try explaining your concerns to the tech and perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised. Point out that your settings on your hard drive shouldn't be affected unless it too is replaced. You paid for the machine, and you have a right to expect certain things, but often shops will tell you that your data is not their responsibility.

As Cowboy noted in his post, Windows should start, and perhaps prompt to install software for any changes it detects. But being a warranty service, it's hard to say for certain what will happen behind a closed door; they may replace everything just because they can. It would behoove you to back up the things that you really care about, perhaps by making a ghost/image of your current Windows installation using Symantec Ghost, Drive Image, or a similar program.

Whichever route you go, make sure that you take the steps you need in advance so that you do not need to rely on the shop that gives you such little encouragement. And good luck!
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Also, if for some reason you loose your settings and have problems getting hooked back up to the Internet. Let us know, I'm sure we can help you get back up and running. I know you have a second Computer because you said you were using a router. And I second what Mark said.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While I agree that nothing should happen to the data (and there's nothing special the tech has to do, as a matter of fact, he would have to do something special to LOSE the data), it's always best to backup!!!!! It should be a fairly straightforward process to run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, saving the compressed file to the second computer. You say that there's no file sharing involved between the 2 computers, well in my estimation here's a really good reason to at least temporarily set up a file share. Of course if you want you could back up to cd/dvd if you have the capability, but please do backup! There certainly is no reason not to, and even if it's 1 in a million, for that one time you'll be really glad you did. Worst case is that you delete the file if everything gets back up and running to your satisfaction.

kip