Lounger
    Thanks

Merge from Contact List in Outlook (2000)

Does anyone know the function of the Mailing_Address_Indicator mergefield? I want to write and IF statement to determine if the mailing address is the home address, but I don't know what my choices are (or even if this is the right field to be looking at).

I want my field to do the following:
    {IF { MERGEFIELD Mailing_Address_Indicator } = "Home" "" "(hard return){ MERGEFIELD Company } }

Again, my question is what should go where the word "Home" is to indicate that if the mailing address is home, don't print the company name?

Shelly C

Thanks

Re: Merge from Contact List in Outlook (2000)

This doesn't ring any bells for me. If you pump out a few pages of records, is there anything in that field? Perhaps it's a "true/false" field. I have no idea. But if you can describe the data, we might be able to make some progress.

There have been threads in the past on the Outlook board bemoaning the fact that the business address shows by default, rather than the home address. I don't recall there being a "quick fix" for that. Copying from home to business was one option, and I posted a macro for that. (I probably can dig it up if needed.)

Lounger
    Thanks

I do not have a problem with the mailing labels defaulting to the business address. We have carefully reviewed our contact list and the preferred mailing address (home, business or other) has been chosen. Thus, when you use the {MERGEFIELD Mailing_Address}, we get the correct address.

Unfortunately, when I put the mergefield Mailing_Address_Indicator in a merge document, I do not get any data returned for it. Logic tells me that there must be some type of data associated with the checkbox to allow Outlook to identify which address is the preferred one. That is what I am looking for so that my IF/THEN statement can identify which contacts have home as the preferred address.

Shelly

Thanks

This could be a change from Word/Outlook 2000, but Word/Outlook 2002 don't expose a merge field named Mailing_Address_Indicator. I also couldn't find it in a Google search, which is very strange. Where did you hear about this field?

Lounger
    Thanks

The only way to find it in a list of merge fields is to start in Contacts in Outlook, click Tools and then Mail Merge. From there you get a comprehensive list of field codes to work with. I have noticed that if you start in Word and choose to use an Outlook Address Book as your data source, the same choice of field codes does not appear. Furthermore, the option to use the MERGEFIELD Mailing_Address is not available if you start in Word. Starting from Outlook has its limitations (it appears that it won't go out and get new data every time you remerge) - but if you can get the merge codes set up the right way on the first try, it seems to work great.

Thanks

I had no idea... but then, I seldom merge.

I ticked the box to save the data permanently to a .doc file and all of the Mailing Address Indicator fields were blank (""). I can't tell whether the problem is that the data is not in a format that can be exported, or

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shelly,

The mailing address indicator field returns Yes or No, but does not appear to be linked to a specific address. To see all Contact fields - Open a Contact/ <click> the All Fields folder/ then, in the Select Field dropdown, choose All Contact Fields, <scroll> to see the Field value.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

In looking at the All Contact Fields list, it seems that "Address Selector" is the one that holds the key, but it doesn't appear to come across in a merge. Bummer! There's probably a way to sneak the information into another field before merging, but is it worth it? Might be easier to export the relevant fields to a text file rather than merging from the Contacts folder. Hmmmm... it's not available in the Export wizard's field map. That would mean VBA... what a hassle.

Lounger
    Thanks

Just in case anyone is interested, here is how I solved my problem. First, I created two categories. One I named "!Christmas card home" and the other "Christmas card business". The ! in the category name is to keep it at the top of the list so that the merge reads it first. I had to limit the address choices to home or business and not use other. The only time "Other" was used was a summer vs. winter address and they were interchangable anyway. After filtering my contact list on these two categories, I created a mailing label merge document with merge criteria that looks like this:

{IF {MERGEFIELD Categories} = "!Christmas cards home*"
    "{ MERGEFIELD First_Name } { IF { MERGEFIELD Spouse } = " " " " "and { MERGEFIELD Spouse } }{ MERGEFIELD Last_Name}
    { MERGEFIELD Home_Address } "
    "{ MERGEFIELD Full_Name }
    { MERGEFIELD Company }
    { MERGEFIELD Business_Address } " }

(I have included some extra spacing and returns in the above for ease of reading)

This set-up looks at the category, and if it is the "!Christmas card home" category, it prints the contact's name with spouse (if there is one) and a home address. If it is not the home category (the only other option would be business), then it prints the name (no spouse), company name and the business address.

The only glitch was if the "spouse" has a different last name or if they are not married. This can be solved by creating a field in the contact list that is called "significant other" or (something else similar to it) and including that MERGEFIELD after the first/last/spouse name line on the label. At this time we have chosen to manually edit for this after the merge because of the limited number of contacts where that would be a problem.

When merging directly from the contact list you have to keep in mind that once the contacts are exported to Word, any changes made in the contact list will not be reflected on your merge list associated with the merge document. You either have to edit the merge list or re-export the contact list after changes have been made.

I hope someone else out there finds this helpful.

Shelly C.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm sure more than a few people will find this useful - especially when we get the search facility back up. Thanks for the update.
    Wendell