New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook won't start (2000)

I'm stumped.

I have a workstation running Windows 2000 on a TCP/IP network with Exchange 5.5. Yesterday the user was logged in with Outlook open and connected to their mailbox. Outlook crashed, and from that point on they haven't been able to open it. When we click the icon, we get the splash screen followed by a message that outlook.exe caused errors and will be shut down.

The first thing I tried was to do a Repair install of Office 2000. Didn't work.
    So next I renamed the OST file in the users profile. Didn't work.
    Next I started Outlook with the /safe flag, and it opened just fine. I then removed all of the Add-Ins and COM Add-Ins, shut down outlook and restarted it normally. CRASH.

So, I logged the user out, logged in as me and tried to open outlook with my mailbox. Works fine.
    I closed Outlook, created a profile to connect to the other user's mailbox and reopened. Works fine.

So at this point, I am thinking there is nothing wrong with the user's mailbox, nothing wrong with Outlook, and nothing in any of the add-ins interfering.

I'm at a loss now. I did a complete virus scan and came up with nothing...

Anybody have any suggestions?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook won't start (2000)

Have had this happen several times. Usually once or twice in a 6 month period (even to my personal machine, but usually a random user on our network). The first thing I do, which works 99.99999% of the time, is to close Outlook. Go into the Mail settings from the Control Panel (which is the same as Tools --> Services from within Outlook). Then I re-enter the exchange server, and the user's account, and click check name. Press Okay, and close, then outlook works. If this does the trick, my best guess is along these lines. Somehow, Outlook records connection information on how to communicate with the Exchange server through RCP. Something in that information gets goofy, and from that point on, whenever it tries to connect to the exchange server it crashes. By doing the process I explained, you 'reset' the information it has recorded, and it keeps chugging on.

If someone cares to figure out what is REALLY going goofy, I'd love to know.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook won't start (2000)

Good diagnostics! And Drew's pretty close. I think if you create a different profile name with the user's account information you will be ok. You've probably go some corruption in the registry and/or one or more of the profile files.