Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Template switching (Word97)

Here's something that surprised me:

I was creating a User Guide for the Medic019.dot application. I fired up a User Guide from another application, attached Medic019.dot so that I could bring up real menus etc for screen snapshots while I typed, and set to work.

Pretty soon a pesky bug reared its head, so I opened Medic019.dot, saved it as Medic020,dot, and went to change the attachment to my User Guide - But MSWord97 had already done that for me.

I didn't realise MSWord was smart enough to know that I wanted that to happen.

What if I didn't want that to happen?

I suppose it's really the same template; as far as MSWord is concerned, I just changed the name (by saving with a new name), so it did too.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template switching (Word97)

> What if I didn't want that to happen?

I suppose you could create a new document from the existing template and save that as a revised template.

Andrew C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template switching (Word97)

> you could create a new document f

Thanks, Andrew. That would work.

I think that once I realised that Word was doing good things for me, my fear of "what if I didn't want it to happen" largely evaporated.

Perhaps my original puzzlement arose because it was late at night, and I had a heightened sense of being careful, so when the name changed, my alarm bell(s) went off.