5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore Incomplete (WN XP PRO)

I was installing a program and created a restore point, just in case. I then decided I did not want the program - uninstalled it using ADD/REMOVE and then went to system restore and tried to take the system back to the restore point created prior to the progam install. But I get a message saying that the system restore was incomplete and no changes were made to the system. I tried it twice and get the same results. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System Restore Incomplete (WN XP PRO)

System restore was and is NOT used to undo a program install. It is used to restore the "SYSTEM FILES" to a saved point.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand that but just to be safe, is it a bad idea to create a restore point before installing a program - install the program to see if you like it - and if not, uninstall it using ADD/REMOVE and then do a System Restore to the restore point created prior to the install of the program?

And whether it is a good or bad idea, why wouldn't the system restore actually do the restoration? I have double checked and system restore is now working. I created a test restore point and then two hours later, did a system restore to that point and everything worked fine.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There could be a lot of reasons that the restore point failed on you. Without digging into the system's logs and other information, it's going to remain a mystery.

Is it a bad idea to create a restore point before installing a program? Certainly not. In fact, it's probably a good practice. I certainly do that before major installations, such as Microsoft Office, CD burning software, or anything that I know will make a lot of changes. What is not a good practice is to get into the habit of rolling your system back without a good reason for doing so. The Add/Remove facility is there for a reason, use that instead. If you begin to experience odd problems, try using System Restore, but not until you have a reason to. It's overkill.

If you are that concerned about testing, then it would be better to create an image of your current hard drive. System Restore isn't designed to reverse all changes, and there is always a possibility that you could break something by using it for reasons other than those it was designed for. Think about it this way: you don't restore your backup tapes/CDs every time you add or remove a program, this is similar in concept.

HTH,
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also by following the above instructions, you may want to ignore some post about using System Restore. Some people believe that "System Restore" is God's gift of fixes.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

"why wouldn't the system restore actually do the restoration?"
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Trebor--

As Mark said, it's impossible to know without looking in the folder where the points are kept, and it would be difficult for most people to tell even when they did. Some restore points are corrupted when others aren't, and possibly, but I don't have a good study to substantiate this, many people lose the ability to restore with a particular point because a shutdown with applications open corrupted it. Others may try a couple points that don't work when others would. There was a problem, according to Microsoft with System Restore that is not explained in great detail here, but that kept people from accessing restore points that they say was corrected with Win XP SP1:

It's a very good idea when doing something that may have major consequences to set a restore point as Mark does--major applications, drivers, addition of new hardware would be examples. This may give you a little info you don't have:

302796: Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

System Restore for Windows XP

SMBP