New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003 recently used files (SP1)

Since I upgraded to Office 2k3, I have no 'Recently Used Files' list on any FILE menu. When I access the TOOLS/OPTIONS/GENERAL tab, the Recently used files option is grayed out. It's not a major problem, but I find it very annoying that there is an option which I can't exercise. Any suggestions?

eredman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003 recently used files (SP1)

Eredman--

With the help of the appropriate TweakUI (are you familiar with that?) free download you can fix this. I'm not sure of your OS, but if you google you can easily link to any number of pages including MS's to get the appropriate Tweak UI. Here's what you do:

Select the Add new documents to Documents on Start Menu check box on the IE tab of Tweak UI. To do this, follow these steps.

NOTE: To perform the following steps, you must be logged on as a member of the local Administrators group.
    In Control Panel, double-click Tweak UI.
    Click the IE tab.
    Click to select the Add new documents to Documents on Start Menu check box, and then click OK.

For reference, this will context the problem and the fix:

284896:OFF: "Most Recently Used" List Missing from File Menu and "Recently Used File List" Option Unavailable

hth,

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003 recently used files (SP1)

SMBP,
    Thank you so much. This little problem has been bugging me for months. I've searched the Knowledge Base, but never saw this article, and never associated the option in Tweak UI with my problem. What a simple yet well hidden solution.

Thanks again,
    eredman