Super Moderator
    Thanks

Launch Event Copies (2003)

I just received my copy of MOS 2003 and OneNote 2003. If you have not received yours, you should shortly.

Also note the following from the EULA and it means it.

<big><font color=red>"1.1 Installation and use. You may install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device located within your home. "</font color=red></big>

Tried to use on laptop after activation on desktop and no activation allowed..

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Launch Event Copies (2003)

'fraid I'm gonna get left behind because when I have to start 'activating' I'm gonna find a different tool to use. Win2K pro w/ Office 2002 forever I guess.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Why, you had to "activate" Office 2002 did you not?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What does this mean, please?

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Umm, no. Maybe I have a pre-release version... I did go to an XP event where I was given a free copy...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I asked because I see so much useless worry about Microsoft getting this or that piece of information. While it's true that someone who was a white hat, for example was able to hack into Passport's data base last year in four minutes, Microsoft is not interested in spying on anyone and for example their music tracking in WMP9 is explicitly voluntary and they seem to go to great lengths not to do this. When you went to the XP event, whether it was MS or co-sponsered or someone else I'd venture you filled out a form to get the goody at the end or to register and are none the worse for it.

SMBP

Thanks

Oh, let's not start a new debate on activation. Then problem is less privacy and more the hassle that you could become unable to use legitimately licensed software after a hardware change (since activation works by tracking differences in configuration).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Of course that's true, but I can't think of anyone more qualified than yourself who has to be concerned with this genre of problem on a complex level day to day for a living to appreciate the balance between piracy and glitches in being able to use the software after a hardware change, after the understandable loss of a product key or other type of licensing number in the rush today with people travelling, taking their computer with them, kids off to school.

I just would like to disuade anyone from the school of though in the activation discussions that MS is really trying to spy on them. I would've like to seen Smart Tags in Windows, and when I first brought it up in one of their meetings it was dropped like it was hot charcoal--a taboo not to be dwealt on and the reason they dropped it from Windows had to do with perception rather than reality.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm really not worried about privacy, more the worry that the product would stop working when I needed it, or after a hardware change as mentioned above... No debate, just wish that us 'honest' folks who pay our licensing didn't have to be annoyed with restrictions designed to thwart those who don't. Something about 'overgrazing the commons'...

Now, on the other hand, that 'send error report' message when a document crashes does have me worried about privacy...

I guess to avoid activation, I'd have to roll back to Office 2k at home... which I may just do - the better to avoid the 'task pains'...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Van--

I understand and wasn't meaning to have a hyperreactive tone--but I do hate when features get left out because as in the instance of Win XP Smart Tags were perceived to be some spy mechanism. I agree with your point and Jefferson's 110%--no one should be inconvenienced by their trying to verify a copy's license or legitimacy. I understand the concern--if you look at charts of piracy that they know anything about, the numbers are huge and that's the tip of the iceberg.

I don't think though, that Activation should cause a problem for you. If it has before, I'm sorry that happened.

The "send error reporting" they absolutely aren't gathering information on you or me specifically, they are getting numbers for possible hotfixes or to assign to pending MSKB's, or hopefully to stop glitches from happening in the future. One of the frustrations a lot of people have is that when a crash happens, there is little in the way of clear feedback as to why and how to avoid it. Granted there may be an error message or info in Event Viewer, but often there isn't--and hitting the oca.mirosoft.com site is rarely that helpful. They say they are working to offer more specific helpful feedback in the future.

If you have Office 2003 if I understand you correctly, I'd sure use it rather than roll back. It has some nice features although the basic components don't have huge changes. I noticed Outlook 2003 has an update for sending videos.

SMBP