3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

chart with dates

I have Excel 2000 data with one entry per month. The Xaxis column ranges from Jan. 1990 to the present or later. I've tried to set the end of the data to the end of a year, such as Dec. 2001. My problem is that I cannot get a chart to put tic marks on the X axis for each year. It chooses tic
    marks at inconvenient intervals. If I try to choose the tic marks, it is almost impossible to determine because it shows me the X axis information using numbers like 32000 (an internal date index no doubt) rather than in the format I want. Finally, I swapped the format to number and used that to figure out what Xmin value to give the in chart box, but it's very inconvenient.

Can anyone help find an easy way to do this? Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: chart with dates

Hi,

Is it really necessary to use a XY-chart if you have exactly one entry per month. Maybe a line chart will solve your problem. In this case, you will be able to use dates in the format you wish. If you really want to use a XY chart, then you need to convert the months/year to values 1, 2, 3, ..., where 1 corresponds to the first month of the first year. Excel transforms the dates in serial numbers when you use real dates in the Xaxis. The serial number can start from January 1, 1900 or 1904 (depending on your settings). This explains why you end up with number as 32000 etc.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: chart with dates

Enter your data headings as dates, e.g. 1/1/2000 and format as mmm yyyy. On the number tab of the Format Axis dialog, check the link to source box . This should give you the format you want on the chart. I hope I understood your problem and that the above helps.

Andrew C