Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form / Subform (A2K)

Hello Again Access Guru's,

Hopefully someone can get me going in the right direction. I hope I can explain this right, if not I'll repost to answer any questions.

I have a form "FrmCustomerComplaint" with 2 subforms. The same customer account number can have numerous complaints over a given time. However this is the same account number with name, address, etc never changing, but the investigation and actions may change.

How do I, after entering the account number bring up a previous entry, if one exists, without having to re enter the customer info again but still add new investigation and action records?

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form / Subform (A2K)

You can enter multiple records in the subforms, so the form you have already does what you want. But shouldn't there be some link between the ComplaintInvestInfo table and the ComplaintActionsTaken table? All they have in common now is the Account number, but nothing to link a specific action to a specific record in the ComplaintInvestInfo table.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

To answer your question I had to go back and see where my work order number field is. I completely forgot about it.
    these 2 tables will be linked by a work order number after I complete this post. LOL.

Back to my original question though, if I were to enter the account number a second time the form does update to the original record but does not autofill the customer information completely. So I guess I'm in alittle need of help with the autofill.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But you shouldn't enter the account number a second time. In fact, you should make the Account Number field the primary key in the TlbCustomerInfo table, so that you can't enter the same number twice.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I know we are on the same page and I'm not sure how to explain it, so I'll give it a go like this.

2 years from now if account number 2003747401 has another complaint and I, or someone else not knowing this account number already exists,enter that number into the database, all information associated with that account number should show up. Which right now it does, however the information concerning address, city, state, zip, phone, xcoord, and ycoord do not autofill. Is there a way to do this?

BTW the other 2 tables have now been linked with a work order number. Thanks for that hint!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What you can do is the following:
    - Open the main form in design view.
    - Make sure that the Control Wizards button on the Control Toolbox is "on"/ "down" (it is the second button on the Control Toolbox)
    - Put a combo box in the Form Header.
    - The Combo Box Wizard will start; it will ask you where the data come from.
    - Select the 3rd option, then click Next.
    - Select Account Number in the list of available fields, and click the > button. Then click Next.
    - Adapt the column width, if you like, then click Next.
    - Enter a label for the combo box, for example "Look up Account Number" (without the quotes).
    - Click Finish.
    - Close and save the form.

Now open the form in form view. If you select an account number from the combo box, the form will jump to the record for that account number.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Very Good ! Thank you immensely!

Can you tell it has been a long day?