snax500

Saving as Excel2000 Only

I have budget templates that I will be sending out as Excel2000. They include macros that will not work in Excel95 (Before_Close events). How can I ensure that the departments that get these templates save as Excel2000 only?
    We recently converted and some still save as Excel95.
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving as Excel2000 Only

If you save them from Excel 2000 as the default Microsoft Excel Workbook (*.xls), you should be OK, as Excel 95 cannot read the current format. They can be opened in Excel 97 though. Just make sure you do not choose Excel 5.0/95 or 97/2000 & 5.0/95.

Andrew C

snax500

Yes, but is there a macro that can not show the different types of Excel. For example, if they do a FIle-Save as only Excel2000 is shown in the file type. I can then be assured that no one accidently saves as Excel95.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Do you want persons with Excel 95 to open and edit the files ?. Excel 95 cannot open files from 97 or 2000 versions for editing as far as I know, and it certainly cannot save as Excel 2000 format. If a file is saved from Excel 95 then it becomes an Excel 95 document and looses all the 2000 features.

Andrew C

snax500

Since we recently converted to Office2000, some people still save as Excel95 in Excel2000. I was wondering if I could create a macro that would only show one type of file when saving so there is no chance for error.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have just coincidently stumbled across a possible solution to your problem. I have an Excel workbook in which I set a module as locked for viewing. Excel could not then save it as a 95 worksheet.
    So you could try inserting a module (or use an existing module, if appropriate) and then set the properties to Lock for viewing. Try saving as an Excel 95, and you should receive an error.

Hope that is of use.

Andrew C

snax500

I tried this in Excel2000 and it did not work. I protected the module and saved as an Excel95. It accepted and I lost my macros. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

How about the Workbook_BeforeSave event. On entry to the routine you could save it as FileFormat:=xlNormal and then close the file. Or remove the File Save As option from the File menu.

Andrew C