Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems logging in with user's profile (Windows XP Pro SP1)

I have just upgraded to a new computer. The place I got it from phoned to ask me how to enter my name. Since the very first time I tried to log on at home, I get the following message:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system."

"Detail- The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry but the specified file is not in a registry file format."

How do I correct this so that I can have a normal log in? I have my own folder in Documents & Settings. In fact there seem to be three folders that have to do with accounts: One in mt name with all my settings, e.g. favorites and cookies; one labeled 'administrator'; and one labeled 'default user'.

Once logged on, my account seems to be working normally. All my personal settings are in my folder.

I am the sole user of my computer and have administrator user rights.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems logging in with user's profile (Windo

I believe that if your user profile has gotten damaged, you'll probably have to make a new one. Try opening Help and Support and entering "corrupt profile" in the search box. I would also say that if it's been that way since you got the machine, a system restore won't do you any good. If I'm reading your post correctly, the system seems to be logging you on using the Default User profile, so maybe even creating a new profile will catch the settings you want.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems logging in with user's profile (Windows XP Pro SP1)

Do you use a password to logon? If so maybe running "control userpasswords2" without the quotes at Start>Run would help by putting you directly into the account you want. You have to uncheck the box at the top of the General tab starting with
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Big Al:

Thanks for replying.

I think you have a good idea here. I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to post a reply. I have one fear doing this. I may not be able to transfer my settings that I have just started to build up. I was using a system with Windows 98 SE on it. I wanted to take my cookies with me, but they won't work in Windows XP. The reason is because on the former system I was listed as User, so all my cookies were listed as 'user@. . .' I have already tried to set up a second account in Windows XP using my exact same name, but understandibly that didn't work. The only thing to do would seem to be to set up a second account in a similar but not exact name, save the contents of the first file in a neutral folder, delete the first account, change the second account back to the original name and then transfer the contents of the first file into the new one. However, what will happen to my application data and other sensitive files? All my software was installed to the first profile. Perhaps you or someone else can tell me what to do with this without making my software unusable.

I am completely new to Windows XP and would not want to make a fatal error. However, I think we are on the right track.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems logging in with user's profile (Windows XP Pro SP1)

Dear hlewton :

Thanks for your reply. Though I do not use a password, I tried running 'control userpasswords2'. The result I got was two accounts, one in my name and one labeled administrator. When I go into Standby mode and then reactivate my computer I am asked to log onto my account, not the default account and everything runs OK. I may be in my account anyways even after the default log on, because all my software installations, Internet Explorer favorites and cookies are in that account folder and not the default one. I think something may be faulty here. What I have to do is find a way to enable a normal log on to my account, rather than logging on to that account via the default log in. Since I am the sole user of this computer and am using it at home, I want to be able to log in automatically. The default log in causes a delay or requires me to click on a button to access the system.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Big Al:

I am adding another reply to your post, because, after carefully researching your suggestion, I tried creating a new profile and copying my files and settings to the new one. Microsoft has an article on this entitled "How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile." ( Knowledge base article 811151). However, the result was that the same notice came up as in the first file. This leads me to believe that the culprit is a defective file and that if I can identify that file there may be a way to fix the present user profile. I know that this is the problem because I tried logging in to the new user profile before I transferred anything.

I did a detailed examination of the folders and files in each user account. I was searching for a date and time when my lab was working on my machine. I also compared this user account to the new 'clean' one. My suspicions point to
    'usernameapplication datamicrosoftcredentials' and the sub folder 'protect' also in the same Microsoft sub folder. The sub folder protect does not appear in the 'new_username' folders or sub folders. Could you or someone else please try to help me on this. Moving into a new "computer home" is hard enough as it is. I would not like to have to start all over due to flaw that was not my doing. My lab that sold me the computer has no solution. I guess I could ask that they reformat the disk and that I would start all over but I have put in a lot of work since December 2nd when I got the new system..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...creating a new profile and copying my files and settings... <hr>
    But if my suspicions are correct, the "my files" profile is probably the one with the corruption. What would have happened to this new profile if you either a) used it as is, or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] copied the "default user" settings into it (shouldn't be necessary, since they should already be there)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Big Al:

Thanks for your reply.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. The problem is with the "my username" files. When I create a new user account the new user account works fine. You might call the new account a default account because it has never been used. However, when I alter it by copying my files into it, I get the message reported in my first post when I try to log in. This is the way I got the computer. It was there the very first time I booted up and tried to log on. I should have right there and then created a new user account. But I knew absolutely nothing about Windows XP then and precious little about it now.

Unless somebody can come up with a learned suggestion, I will just have to keep creating new user accounts and try and find the problem by trial and error. I will try and do this by next copying individual folders into the new accounts to try and narrow down the search. If I am successfull, then I will go down a level in that folder and so forth.

millerah

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like you're taking the right approach. When, however, you do hit a snag, try moving the offending folder back to where it was before. If that works, then it should simply be a matter of going through that foder's files one by one. Recreating profiles from scratch each time may prove to be overkill. HTH
    Grüße

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Big Al:

Just an update to my last posting. I created a new user account and copied each folder of that account from 'my account' to the new one. I was surprised to find that everything went without a hitch. For the sake of clarity, I will give you the names of my experimental accounts. I used a 'Karen' account to tranfer the files between my account and the other accounts, both the account from which the account the folders were being tranferrred and the account to which the folders were being transferred being logged off. The first tranferee account was called 'David' and the second 'Barbara'. When I copied everything at once to the 'David' account, I received the error message like in my account. But when I copied each folder separately to the Barbara account, I never got the error message.

This would seem to dispell my theory that it is some file causing the problem, because if a file were causing the problem I would have also got the error message in the'Barbara' account. It would therefore appear that the sum of the folders and files in my account are greater than its parts. I would really appreciate any additional input because I think I have exhausted my ideas on how to proceed, at least for now.

millerah

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear unkamunka:

Thanks for your input. You replied while I was adding a post as a further reply to Big Al's last reply. Please refer to that as it is an update on what I wrote previously.

millerah

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To all of you who took an interest in trying to solve this problem and to any others who may be interested, I am happy to announce that the problem has been solved! The solution was provided by Kelly Theriot, a Microsoft MVP. Kelly suggested a number of things:

"Logon to another account with admin privilege and run System Restore.
    Choose the most recent restore point and SR should restore the user hives.

Or...

Boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. Copy ntuser.dat from %windir%repair to "Documents and Settings[your user id]". Now do a system restore to a point in time prior to when the corruption message began to appear.

Or...

Relocate NTUserdat

Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
    NTCurrentVersionProfileList and find the profile you want to change and then change ProfileImagePath to the ntuser.dat folder that you want to use.
    You must manually copy or move the ntuser.dat file there"

I used the first suggestion. Only I didn't have a recent restore point, the last one being December 7, so I created one. I then logged into the new user account and applied the restore. It worked flawlesly. The only thing that seemed odd was that the restore almost completely wiped out my new user account. I still had a folder for it, but it wasn't listed in the user accounts. I simply erased the folder.

I would have liked to make a new post for this, but I don't know if such an opportunity exists so I am posting this as a reply to myself.

millerah

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I would have liked to make a new post for this, but I don't know if such an opportunity exists so I am posting this as a reply to myself.

What you have done - which is indeed helpful - is by far the preferred option. Starting a new thread in such circumstances inevitably confuses people.
    Grüße