Thread: CPU Usage (XP)

1. New Lounger
    Thanks

CPU Usage (XP)

My computers cpu usage will sometimes go to 100 and just sit there when i running only two programs at a time. Can someone help me fix this

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: CPU Usage (XP)

How much memory and CPU speed and what else is listed in the "Task Manager" under the App's and Process tabs?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There are a number of steps you can take to reduce this by modifying startup, websites, and spyware type detection, and I believe these past threads will help you--CPU usage is a common thread here and there is a lot of information focused on solving those problems on the threads, posts, and links below--also I'll single out the star post on spyware:

Links to Go After Excess CPU Resource Usage:

Anti-Adaware, Spyware, Hijack Star-Post and Thread General Windows September 28, 2003

Post 312043: Massive File Activity With Multiple Links to 100% CPU Lounge Threads Windows 2000 November 12, 2003

Draining System Resources (XP Pro) Windows XP November 17, 2003

100% CPU Usage (XP) Windows XP October 21, 2003

100% CPU Usage (XP SP1, NAV 2003-V9.05)

CPU Usage at 100% after 4-6 Hours Windows XP November 1, 2002

CPU at 100% (Windows XP) Windows XP June 26, 2003

SMBP

5. New Lounger
    Thanks

Its a 731mHz celeron with 320 MB RAM. The other processes are: wmiprvse.exe, msmsgs.exe, iexplore.exe, taskmgr.exe, waol.exe, ctfmon.exe, wcmdmgr.exe, P2P networking.exe, wupdater.exe, ccapp.exe, explorer.exe, wanmpsvc.exe, nopdb, nprotect, navapsvc, mdm, aolwbspd, acsd, spoolsv, ccevtmgr, shellmon, svchost( 4 times), lsass, services, winlogon, csrss, smss, system, system idle process. thats all of them.

6. Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at Black Viper's Service Configurations. Using msconfig and he prefers to end unneeded services using "servics.msc" in the run box and turning them off at services, and you might be able to eliminate some of these. Take your list and match it to his definitions.

SMBP