Star Lounger
    Thanks

why does my pc freeze. (97 on win NT)

On saving a spreadsheet, my PC freezes. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't even have any effect.
    (the save progress indicator in the status bar indicates that the file is about half saved b4 everything freezes, including the hourglass cursor).

I tried renaming the file, with limited success (i.e. the problem didn't recur for 24 hrs or so).
    I've had the file for a couple of years, and its got quite a few macros attached to buttons etc.,

How can I try to diagnose what in the file causes the freeze?

Thanks

Re: why does my pc freeze. (97 on win NT)

It sounds (based on the limited info) that the file might have some corruption.

You might try exporting all the macros and then importing them into a new file. Copy all the sheets onto new sheets (Best to do a ctl-a, ctrl-c, then to copy the entire sheet) corruption can sometimes come with the sheet.

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Steve. If you can open the corrupt file, one way might be to build a new file with copies of the sheets and import macros.

When did it start, any changes made before that? When some old file gets corrupt it almost always turns out that it's hard to find exactly what is causing, and one will be better of with a new generated file, but without more information it's hard to tell.

Is it a Excel 97 file, made by Excel 97?

You might want to look at MSKB 142117: Summary of Methods to Recover Data from Corrupted Files, which have some methods of recovering data.

Also, Ole P. Erlandsen has some tools on his site, there is one for damaged workbooks that will not open. I have not used that one, but if that indeed is the case it might work as his files/tools are good.
    Erlandsen Data Consulting

Regards,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The firist place I would look is any macro code in the workbook close event routine.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Another thought (if this is a "work file" on a network server) is to check the antivirus settings. We had some "relatively large files" (2-3 Meg) that could be saved fine locally, but sometimes took minutes to save on the network. For a while we saved to local drive and then copied it to the server when we were finished since it was much faster and kept complaining to IT personnel about the issue.

Steve