New Lounger
    Thanks

Straqnge File (2002/SP1)

After recently re-installing Win XP Pro, and downloading SP1 and all the updates I am finding some strange files. In the "System Volume Information" folder are a number of oddly named files. One in particular concerns me. It is named _restore{8AAAE4EE-9BBA-4B4B-86EA-D50A5FB57E7F} It is 3.7 GB (yes, gigabytes) in size and contains 9998 files. I don't seem to be able to get rid of this monster. I can't rename it, can only partially move it (get the message'Cannot move change: It is being used by another person or program"). Folders inside this file refer to Service Pack setup and install and also registry files. I'm pretty sure I don't need this but I don't know what to do about it. Any advice appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Straqnge File (2002/SP1)

Windows XP has a system restore feature. If you install (for example) a Windows patch or security update and you don't like the effect, you can use System Restore to go back to the situation before the installation. Information for the system restore points is stored in the System Volume Information folder; you shouldn't go about deleting files in that folder.

If you right-click My Computer, select Properties, and activate the System Restore tab, you can set the space reserved for system restore, and you can even turn the feature off entirely. I would strongly recommend against turning it off, however. You'll rue it the day you do something wrong and you won't be able to restore a previous situation.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Straqnge File (2002/SP1)

Thanks for your response. I understand what you are saying, but this is such a monster file and I am afraid I may have damaged it fooling around with it, that I would just like to get rid of this on a one time basis. Is there any way to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange File (2002/SP1)

Right-click My Computer.
    Select Properties.
    Activate the System Restore tab.
    Tick the Turn off System Restore check box.
    Click OK.
    Confirm that you want to turn off System Restore.
    Restart your PC.

This should remove all stored system restore points.

Now clear the check box again, so that Windows can start storing new system restore points.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I must be one of the dummies that the book was written for. I right click My Computer and select properties, but I don't get any System Restore tab. The only tabs I see are General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, Automatic Updates, and Remote. And I don't find anything about System Restore under any of these tabs. Arrrrggghhhhh!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You must log on to Windows XP as a user with administrator privileges in order to use system restore and to see the System Restore tab in the properties of My Computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked Control panel/User accounts and I was listed as an administrator. But it was the only account and never came up on the welcome screen. I activated the guest account and rebooted. Still no account login at the welcome screen (any comment on this?), but I was able to get to the System Restore tab. Following your directions I was able to get rid of that monster file. Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it worked. I don't know enough about the technical details of user accounts to explain your experience, perhaps somebody else can shine a light on that.