Thanks

Reinstalled W98 - now trouble with ZoneAlarm

I have reformated my PC and loaded Win 98 again from scratch. I previously used ZoneAlarm version 2.6 happily. (I once tried the upgrade to version 3.x but it seemed to cause problems and as I still had the installation file - actually two different versions of 2.6.x - I went back to 2.6.) Now that I have reinstalled Windows, I can't get ZoneAlarm 2.6 to install. With either version of 2.6, it starts going through the install process but then comes up with an error message that because of an I/O problem, installation can't continue. It suggests that this might be the result of a corruped installation file, but while I can believe that one of them might be corrupt, it seems too much of a coincidence that it has happened to both the ones I have. I'd really like to get ZA installed again, but I'm stuck. Any ideas? (I am on WIn 98 first edition, and the ZoneLabs web site says that the version they now offer for download (version 4.x) needs Win 98SE minimum, so I can't use that.)

Alternatively, I could use a different frewall. A friend suggested Kerio Personal Firewall and I have tried downloading and installing that. Seems to be OK except that whatever I do I can't find how to stop it blocking my wife's PC getting access to mine, which she needs to do to use my printer. This was fine with ZA. (We are networked and share a cable broadband connectiion via a router.) So I have had to disable Kerio for now and am left without a working firewall.

Help! - Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstalled W98 - now trouble with ZoneAlarm

I haven't used Kerio (being a fan and owner of Sygate's firewall) but I would assume that it needs to be told what IP addresses on your internal network are safe. You can check your IP configuration by clicking Start - Run and entering WINIPCFG in the resulting box. This will tell you what IP address is assigned to the workstation. Check this on both yours and your wife's PCs and look in the Kerio help file to see how to set up a "safe" list of IP addresses that will allow traffic to pass between the two.

If you are using a router or some other device to share your internet connection, this may be a little different. ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) has its own set of anomalies that may also need to be addressed. Can you describe how your network is set up?
    -Mark

Thanks

In Kerio you can set up Network security and you can assign IP addresses to a trusted area. I could also assign the network adapter on my wife's PC to the trusted area and set the IP address for it to 'all addresses' , so that any IP address with that card is OK. That didn't help. You can also disable the Network Security module, but that didn't help either. Before installing Kerio we were OK, and stopping Kerio altogether restores her access to my PC. I can easily find my IP address with WINIPCFG and know how to do that. She is on Win XP and I was less sure how to find it there, but I think I did and assigned the address to the trusted area without success. The set up is that the router is connected to the cable modem and the PCs are connected to the router, so we are not using ICS - we are just both connected to the cable modem, and the router doubles as network hub. It worked fine without the firewall, and used to work fine with ZoneAlarm. I'd really prefer to go back to ZA again if I could get it to install, though Kerio looks pretty good too if only I could overcome this problem. (Though ZA is free while you have to pay for Kerio after 30 days, or it reverts to the lesser functionality of the free version.)

Also ZA was easier to use, I thought, since my wife's PC was in the local zone.

Your further help would be most welcome, and thanks for what you have said so far.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It would seem that you've isolated the cause of this problem as Kerio's software. That's a good thing, because you've established that the networking is properly configured. Now it's a matter of firewalls. Thanks for explaining your setup, that clears a lot of mystery up.

If your wife is using Windows XP, you can check the IP address in a similar manner to your own workstation. Click Start - Run and enter CMD. This will bring up a command prompt. The command to display network configuration is IPCONFIG /ALL. It will list all network adapters and their assignments.

Windows XP has a firewall built in which may be interfering. If you have installed Kerio on both PCs, make sure that the XP firewall is disabled. To do this, open your Network Connections folder and right click the NIC adapter that it uses, select Properties, and click on the Advanced tab. You should see the same information as in the attached screen shot. Clear the tick for Internet Connection Firewall if it is active and you are using Kerio on that machine.

If the XP firewall is not active or changing this setting does not clear up the problem, then you are faced with figuring out Kerio's ruleset or trying a different firewall product. I feel certain that this problem has something to do with Kerio's configuration. I cannot bring myself to recommend ZoneAlarm based on the problems I have had with it in the past, but I would definitely stay away from the older versions if at all possible. Many known issues and fixes have been added to the later revisions; using an outdated firewall is similar to using antivirus software without proper updates. I'm going to plug Sygate's offering again, as I have never had an issue with it. There is a free version that is available on their site although they push the paid version (for obvious reasons). You are limited to 20 rules in the free version, which should be plenty for most folks.

If you search on the Internet enough, I would suspect that you can find an older version of ZA for download. Why either copy you have already won't install I can't say, but perhaps there is something at ZoneLabs' website that addresses this issue?

Post back as often as you need. Somewhere along the line it would be nice to have a solution you can live with, if not prefer!
    -Mark

Thanks

So I've had a look at the Sygate site as recommended. If I download and install it, is it easy to configure it to allow my wife's PC access to mine, in particular so she can use my printer? (Our setup as I mentioned before being router connected to Cable modem and PCs conncted to router.) Bear in mind I am a bit of a beginner at this!

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by WyllyWylly to add graphic example.

I believe it's fairly simple to set up. In the configuration/rules for Sygate, you can allow a MAC address, a single IP, or an entire range of IPs. You can set up the rules by right-clicking on the tray icon that is installed and selecting Advanced Rules. As you set up the rule, it will appear in the bottom portion of the rule creation window so you can easily double-check what you have configured. The online help is also available in the event that you have questions; it is very thorough in my experience.

Under Tools - Options for this product, you can also globally allow/disallow browsing of the network and sharing of files/printers. I prefer to set it up the way I was taught with security: disallow everything, and then open only what's necessary by means of IP addresses and so forth. However, your router will provide some measure of protection as well, so ultimately you have flexibility that should hopefully meet your needs.
    -Mark