Star Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server and transaction log (2000)

I am developing a database with an Access Project at the front end and SQL Server at the backend. I have been beavering along for quite some time. I have just discovered that the transaction log is now 10 Gb - one third the capacity of my hard drive. I did not have any restrictions set on its size (oversight!!!) I have tried shrinking it, backing up the database etc but cannot get it below 10 Gb. Is there a way to seriously reduce it so I can then restrict its growth? I am rapidly running out of disc space on my laptop.

Thanks.

Graeme.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SQL Server and transaction log (2000)

Sorry - I don't have a SQL Server install at my disposal at the moment, but the basic answer is to backup the database (using the SQL Enterprise Manager or the equivalent System Stored Procedures), and then "dump" the transaction log with a truncate option. You aren't the first person to have that happen - in fact I think it happens to nearly everyone who first gets into SQL Server. Check out the SQL Server help files - they give you the details, though not always in the clearest fashion. If you need further help, post back - I should have access to a SQL system tomorrow.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Server and transaction log (2000)

Thanks Wendell. I have done a full backup then shrunk the transaction log (still 10 Gb). I suspect backing up the transaction log might help but I no longer have that much space free. I will look at dumping the transaction log - haven't seen it around. I saw the Truncate option (tried that) but will try again after a full backup. I'll let you know how it goes.