New Lounger
    Thanks

Create Directory in a table with Mail Merge (Word XP)

I am trying to create a Directory list in a table using the Mail Merge feature (data source excel). The directory works fine but when I want to add a table heading row to show what each column is, Word insists on creating the table header for each mail merge record. I want to be able to setup with all the formatting a set & forget directory that I can update using mail merge from the master database (Excel). It seems bad form that I have to put a heading row in the table in the finished mail merge document.

Cheers Neil

Thanks

Re: Create Directory in a table with Mail Merge (Word XP)

You could put the header row in the page header. Sometimes you have to play with the top margin setting (try using the minus sign to set an "absolute position," e.g., -1") to get the rows to align correctly.

But really, even though I seldom merge, I think there should be a way to have the header row in the document (and not repeat) by playing with the positioning of the merge fields...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create Directory in a table with Mail Merge (Word XP)

I've tried it in a header, the problem is that the table resizes with the content (there is an email field in the data) and it is difficult to set the correct absolute column widths to match, you finish up having to change the alignment manually which defeats the purpose of the exercise