3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Windows XP upgrade on new machine (Windows XP SP1)

I am considering buying a new PC, and have a query re installing an upgrade version of Windows XP Pro on a new machine.
    I currently have a PC which came with an OEM version of Me, and I purchased and upgraded to XP Pro. The new PC has an OEM version of XP Home. Can I use my XP Pro upgrade on a new machine? I have never been able to fathom the intricacies of product activation!
    I have used an Me boot floppy disc in the past to get me back into Windows XP, and have a set of XP SP 1 boot discs , a password reset disc and a Windows product activation disc, all on floppies- it seems that floppy drives are disappearing. Can these be copied directly on to CD, or must I create them anew? If so, can you point me in the right direction to achieving this.
    Many thanks for guiding me once more through the maze!
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing Windows XP upgrade on new machine (Windows XP SP1)

Your license with XP Pro is for a single computer. So if you are trying to install it on the new computer while keeping in on the old one, that's not legal (and shouldn't activate). If you are using the old computer as an anchor or a doorstop, though, and only run XP Pro on a single computer, you should be able to upgrade XP Home to Pro. I wasn't aware that XP Pro even came on floppies! If you don't have the XP Pro CD (which it seems you should have), I suppose you should be able to install from the floppies. The upgrade should see XP Home if you do an upgrade install. If you do a clean install (that is, reformat the hard disk and start over), you'll have to prove you have a previous version. This is generally done by popping in a CD. I still am confused about your use of floppies, so I'd make sure you are able to verify a previous version before you wiped the hard drive. When you go to activate you may be prompted to call MS. Explain to them that you are installing to a single computer and you should be fine (they'll read you a whole bunch of numbers to type into a whole bunch of boxes, and you're off and running)

kip

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I wasn't aware that XP Pro even came on floppies<hr>
    It doesn't. You'd need something on the order of 600 floppies to contain all the code on the CD.
    -Mark

Thanks

I'm not sure about Windows XP, but when Microsoft first initiated activation, it allowed two, so that if your computer did undergo a drastic change of hardware, you would be able to reinstall. The same principle should apply to a second computer (but you do have to remove it from the first one.)

Regarding floppies, many computers can boot from CD if that option is set in the BIOS. Does this completely replace boot floppies? I don't know; what if the CD drive is the problem? Nowadays, you can get an external USB floppy drive for about $50 should you need it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear jkipk
    Apologies for creating confusion by introducing two separate topics. The Windows XP is on CD, the floppies are a set of Windows boot floppies I created (?when and how) some time ago- they have a rescue function, and luckily have never been needed).
    Thanks for the advice re activation- a phone call to MS seems inescapable!
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes- it costs peanuts to put in a floppy drive, so will add that option.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you find it too daunting, it's much better to do the clean install. You would need to provide the XP Home or ME CD as proof of prior OS, but after that the upgrade will install the same as a full version would (that is, completely)

As for activation, I recently upgraded this computer to Pro, and then moved Home from this one to my secondary "test" machine. I was expecting the phone call, even brought the phone with me when I installed, and it activated automatically without a squawk. Go figure.

kip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,Kip. As you say, you can't predict what Big Brother will do.
    My previous version of Me came preloaded on a Dell computer, and I am looking at another Dell. I suspect that the XP Home will also be preloaded and incorporated into a "recovery" disc. Will that be recognised during install as an appropriate proof of previous ownership? XP Home will be on the machine, but if I chose a clean install, will have only the "recovery" CD as evidence.
    Dianne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Dell ships the full OS on a separate CD, instead of recovery CDs. If that is the brand that you go with, you should have no problems.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is certainly good news! The Dell website didn't make that clear. Many thanks
    Dianne