New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Process won't stop on Exit (Outlook 2000)

If the search feature was running on the board I'll bet I could find this ... 'cause I'm sure it's been talked about before! ... but please bear with me in the interim.

I just upgraded my OS to Windows XP and reinstalled Office 2K Premium. Now when I exit Outlook 2K the icons disappear from the taskbar but the OUTLOOK.EXE "process" (visible in Task Manager) does not. Thus the program merrily continues to download email while I'm out (which for various reasons I'd rather not do). Any reasons why? Any fixes out there? Is this an MS "feature" or a bug?

I can, of course, go into Task Manager and end the process manually. It doesn't seem to hurt anything when I do, despite the dire warnings that TM always throws up first. Is anyone aware of a down side to ending the OUTLOOK.EXE process this way?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance for any help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Process won't stop on Exit (Outlook 2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 08-Dec-03 08:05. made link hot)</P>This usually happens if you have an outlook object open, a VB process is using the object model, or another Office program is using Journaling. You do run a small risk of corrupting your data (PST) file. Normally it is closed, but if you shut down the process when the file is open you could be in trouble. Seel the URL below for more info.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=out2K

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The use of a Pocket PC or Palm will keep Outlook running, make sure they are turned off before shutting down Outlook.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, with my Palm Outlook isn't held open unless the sync program is left running. Or, to put it the other way round , if all Palm-related programs are closed, Outlook can be completely closed.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

> Thus the program merrily continues to download email while I'm out

There must be a way to disable this. But I haven't poked around for it.

Other programs that could keep Outlook open in memory include Word (if you used File>Send To, or use Word as your mail editor) and maybe Internet Explorer. If you close these programs and allow Outlook 1-2 minutes to clean up after itself, does it then disappear from the processes list?

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is it: I use ActiveSync with my Pocket PC. But if I uncradle the PPC and shut down ActiveSync the OUTLOOK.EXE process stays in memory ... and not just for two or three minutes, it's still there next morning. I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so that's not it.

It's a pain, not a life-threatening disaster. But my list of "things that make me sigh" is getting quite long in the software department ...