4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Going Paperless (2000/SR1)

I work for a manufacturer and under our current system, when we have a reject, our Quality Control fills out the top half of a paper form, signs it and then sends it to Manufacturing to add further information, they also sign it. When they have completed it, it is returned to Quality Control, where the manager checks it, logs it and also signs it. Along the way, many copies are made so that everyone is kept in the loop.

Naturally, I want to automate this system using Access. I can muddle through most things in Access but I don't know anything about Security in Access Databases, except that I need to know more. For a system like this, I think I need to learn more about Security.

I would like to be able to set it up so that Manufacturing can't change anything that Quality has entered and vice versa. I'm thinking that Quality would start off with a form, that they would fill out. When Manufacturing opens it, they would see the information but not have access to it. I'm assuming this is possible, am I on the right track? Does anyone have a recommendation for an easy to understand approach to Security? Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Going Paperless (2000/SR1)

Access moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a short tutorial on security on his website. You will find a link in his profile; in the menu on the left side of his home page, click Support, then Tutorials.

The tutorial contains several useful links; I especially recommend the first one; it provides a good overview.

You will still have to do a lot of work, for Access security has no built-in provisions for making a part of a form read-only to some users, and another part to other users. If the data in these parts are stored in different tables, it would be easier, since you can set security at the table level. Access doesn't provide field-level security.