New Lounger
    Thanks

Maintaining and backing up Outlook XP (Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2)

How do I maintain and back up Outlook XP? I have the encyclopedic Special Edition Using Office XP by Woody and Ed Bott, but I don't see this information in the book.

Thanks,
    Mary Kaplan

Thanks

Re: Maintaining and backing up Outlook XP (Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-

Most everything you see in Outlook is stored in a massive .PST file. There are separate files for storing the layout of your buttons bars (both toolbars and the Outlook Bar that appears to the left of the inbox). In some cases you might also have a separate PAB (old-format address book) file.

There is an add-in to remind you to back up and automatically copy the PST files somewhere if it hasn't been done in the previous 24 hours (configurable to longer, but not shorter, periods). I don't remember how I got this installed, but I believe it is included with Outlook 2002. You also can copy the file(s) manually or create a batch file to do it. If you have backup software, you can simply point it at the folder containing your PST (usually under your profile path, c:documents and settings<user name>application data or :documents and settings<user name>local settings).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

To what Jefferson has explained, I would add that you learn about Archiving, and using the "Inbox Repair Tool" ('scanpst.exe', which attempts to repair problems in the PST).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There's a free download for Outlook 2000 or later available from MS, although it's called "Outlook 2003 Add-In: Personal Folders Backup" You can get it Here. I've been using it with 2003, and it seems to work without problems (yes I've tried both the backup and retrieval). It will back up your Outlook files and also your Outlook Express files if you want it to. Has a reminder feature, although no automatic backup. It places an item in the "Files" menu (Backup). (This is a Personal Files backup, it does not back up Exchange server files)

kip

Thanks

Wow, I never noticed it added an item to the File menu. (This is what happens when you just install updates without reading about them first.)

For future reference: Using the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool