Star Lounger
    Thanks

W97 Hyperlink & back (webtoolbar) not working

I am going crazy.... I am trying to insert a hyperlink to a bookmarked location in another document in the same directory - use relative path for hyperlink is checked. The document name is correct - the bookmark location is correct.

Here's the problem... After I insert the hyperlink, I save the doc. I then click the hyperlink. Word goes to the correct document, finds the location and then opens to the beginning of the document. Then when I click on the back arrow of the Web toolbar it goes back to the beginning of the previous document (not to the location in that document).

I have tested this using Word 97 on an NT, Win95 (both on a network) and on Win98 at home.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is there a bug fix needed?

<font class="bigger">HELP!!!</font size=big>[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

nehmar

Re: W97 Hyperlink & back (webtoolbar) not working

When you click on the back button it is just going back to the previous document that you are in, not necessarily the same location.

Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but in order to go back to the previous location, you would need to create a hyperlink to a bookmark in that location.

Hope this helps!!!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Word 97, so it may work differently in Word 2000. In Word 2000, after you jump to the bookmark in the source docment, the first document stays open. You just Alt+tab & you're back to the first document.

Does it work differently in Word 97? It may because it's a SDI (single document interface), not MDI (multiple). However, in that case, press Ctrl+Shift+F6 to shift back to the previous document. Shift+F5 (go back) should also work.

Let me know if it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will try your suggestion for jumping back... however, the main problem is getting the hyperlink to go to the bookmarked location. It finds it, and then jumps to the beginning of the doc.

-Ruth

PS What is MDI and SDI?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the workaround for going to the correct location...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q173/1/50.ASP
    Thanks for your thoughts... I'm still working on the back arrow going back to the original location in previous doc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W97 Hyperlink & back (webtoolbar) - working

Problem resolved:
    The back button works... it does go to the location in the doc that you "left."
    Our docs are attached to a template that runs a macro everytime the document is open. This macro checks styles, and then goes to the beginning of the doc. That's why neither the hyperlink to the specific location, nor the backwards arrow was working. I detached the templates and everything is fine.

Now I have to talk to our template programmer and tell him to fix that macro.

Thanks for all input!!!
    -Ruth

Super Moderator
    Thanks

MDI vs SDI

Ruth

MDI = Multiple Document Interface (meaning multiple documents can be opened in the same application)

SDI = Single Document Interface (meaning only one document can be opened in each instance of the application)

Word 97 uses a MDI, whilst Word 2000 uses SDI with no option to use a MDI. This means that in Word 2000 if you open 5 Word files you will open the application 5 times and can Alt-Tab between them. The problem is you get 5 times the borders, toolbars, buttons in the Start Menu etc.

IMHO that shortsighted design decision is probably the biggest single item holding companies back from upgrading Office 97 to Office 2000.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MDI vs SDI

Thank you Andrew! I just started using Word2k and thought that it was a bug.. thanks for the explanation!!

-Ruth

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you found a solution, Ruth. SDI & MDI are Single & Multiple Document Interface respectively. In Word 2000, every document you open is shown on the taskbar separately, just as if it were in a separate application.