Thanks

Recovering history items (IE 6 on Win 98)

Because of a re-install, my IE History has started from scratch a couple of days ago. I have a back up of the previous contents of my hard disc and I would quite like to find a site I visited a few days earlier, but can't now find. Is there anyway I can restore or view the previous History items from my backup?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recovering history items (IE 6 on Win 98)

You should be able to view and use history items in your backup, but I don't think that you can restore them. Look for a folder named History on the backup; you will have to search through its subfolders. The history items are just shortcuts, so once you find the one you want, you can open it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This comment may help with perspective:

Post 311939

Ed by SMBP: See See Lost History by Date Internet Explorer 6 November 3, 2003

SMBP

Thanks

Well my own History items are just shortcuts, or at least that is the way I see them, but I can't see the History for other users of the PC that way (we have several user profiles set up) and my backed up index.dat files (since they are just in another location, not actually in my profile) are also not readable that way.

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Win98 doesn't store History items as shortcuts, but they are inside the index.dat files.

You can open the files with Notepad and find the entries -- although it is not completely simple. Every site will follow the "visited:" prefix. So just Search for "visited" until you find the site in question.

There are thrid-party programs that help you read the History folders as well. I think NirSoft has a new one out and you might find that useful.

IE History View