Thread: DLL Archive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DLL Archive

Has anyone used DLL Archive: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...em/dllarch.htm? If so, your experience with it?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DLL Archive

Dennis--

I was only able to context it with a comment by Megan Marrone formerly of The Screen Savers TV Show on Tech TV--they have the man who does Analogue X on frequently--the ones I do use see problem free but like many from SysInternals they take a little study:

Twisted List: Top 5 Analog X Programs

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

Are you saying that "DLLarchive" is associated in any way with SysInternals? NAFAIAA*, says I...

* an abbreviation of "Not As Far As I Am Aware", which the more observant of us will have noticed is a bit of a waste of time as an abbreviation if you have to spell it out in full!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This article seems to be informative in helping to safely remove DLLs: http://www.techsupportalert.com/search/e0645.pdf However, removing numerous ones is cumbersome if you're going to identify them individually through msdn.microsoft.com, as the article indicates. What bothers me in the DLL Archive is the ff.: "Then just select which ones you think aren't necessary anymore and archive them; it's that simple! Make a mistake? No problem, restoring DLL's from the archive is just as simple - nothing is deleted until YOU delete it." " . . . ones your THINK aren't necessary . . ."? That's easy to say. What happens, though, if a DLL has been archived and your OS is all mucked up. And in retrieving the DLL, do you know which one or do they all have to be retrieved. I guess that's why I'm asking if anyone has had first-hand experience with the program. I suspect I have "gobs" (how's that for a technical computer term?) of DLLs that are taking up space.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot think of a single reason anyone should be manually fooling about with DLL files. They are often cryptic, many times working in conjunction with specific versions of other DLLs or programs, and any benefit that might be gained from clearing a few out would definitely be offset by an unusable system.

There always has been and still is one failsafe way to clean house: format the drive and install fresh. With the advent of System File Protection in Windows 2000 and XP, removing system files would be an exercise in futility anyway. I would give this program a wide berth.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with Mark, this is nothing but a big waste of ones time and can be very dangerous to ones system.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Good advice.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

I can think of "a single reason anyone should be manually fooling about with DLL files", but it is very[/i] specific!

We have a large system which runs our business, mostly, and it contains a breathtakingly huge number of DLLs in its directories, currently <big>3769</big> occupying about <big>380 MB</big> of space. (You remember that a DLL was supposed to be a way of having common routines in the same place, to cut down on the number of files? So what about 3700 of them??).

I am firmly convinced that no single person among the developers understands what's in a tenth of these DLLs, and that a fair proportion of them are no longer used.

I'll be taking a look at these directories with DLL Archive (but not, it will not surprise you to know, to actually archive them, just to see which do not appear to be referenced!).

Somewhat later...
    I tried it on the aforementioned directories, and it found just 6 (six!) of the 3769 DLLs to have no references by other programs or DLLs.
    Coupled with the amusing suggestion to "archive DLLs to diskettes" (!), I don't think I'll be using the product further...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...