Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set IE to open Excel maximized (6.0.2800.1106CO)

How can I make Internet Explorer open Excel maximized when I click on a link to an .xls file?

It used to do this, but now if I click on a link to Excel from within Internet Explorer Excel opens up on top of Internet Explorer as a small window in the upper left corner of the screen. The window is about half the width of the screen and about 1/4 of the depth of the screen. After this happens, Excel only opens up to this small size outside of Internet Explorer as well.

If I go back and reset Excel to open maximized again it will do so from the Excel icon or from double-clicking on an .xls file, but as soon as I open an Excel file using a link in INternet Explorer I'm back to the small window again . . .

How can I fix this exceedingly frustrating problem?

I'm using IE 6.0.2800.1106CO, Excel 2002 (10.3506.3501) SP-1, Windows 2000 . . .

Thanks!

ggeinec

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Set IE to open Excel maximized (6.0.2800.1106CO)

Well, let's start with a test link...

OK, my computer is set up to open that INSIDE of an IE Window. I assume yours is not. Let me fix mine to be like yours...

OK, to do that I need to remove the Check box under "Folder Options | File Types | Browse in same window". The net effect of that is to add this registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareCLASSESExcel.Sheet.8
    "BrowserFlags": 0x00000008

Now to see from where it gets the size...

But... before I didd that, I did two other things: I verified the intial problem, and then I seemingly corrected it -- maybe. The first time I opened the file it opened in a bizarre size with the inner frame not maximized. I closed the window and reopened Excel usual way -- and I got the same bizarre size.

So... I opened a second new file in Excel and then shut it down. Now every time I open Excel -- whether from the attached link or from my Desktop -- the size is exactly how I want it. NOT fully mazimized, but in a "large", nearly maximal "restore" size. That works OK for me. Give it a try.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Rick,

This will be a satisfactory workaround for many. But, in the first place, it means that Windows forgets that I had set Excel (or Word, or PowerPoint, or ...) to start maximized. And, if I decide to tile windows from the task bar, the "restored maximum size" setting will be lost too - next time, the application will open in a window a quarter the size of the screen, or something like that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Let me make sure I follow everything in your post.

>>"Windows forgets that I had set Excel... to start maximized."

Yes, it does seem to do this -- when you are opening a file through an IE link. Otherwise, it does not.

For example, opening Excel by double clicking on the excel.exe file causes this to open in the last state that Excel was in. If you closed Excel and it was Maximized, it re-opens Maximized. If you then change it to a "Restored" window, close it down, and reopen it -- it now opens in a Restored window of the exact same size it was when you closed it. So, the executable file remembers the last "state".

However, regardless of how you last closed Excel, IE decides to open Excel in the "Restored" state. Even if you last closed it Maximized, IE does not care. It is going to open it at the lasted Restored size. So... it you make your last Restored size large enough, the IE will open the file in a fairly large window -- but never Maximized.

This behavior is akin to how IE works. Try as you may, you cannot get IE to open Maximized. You have to make it open as a nearly Maximized Restored window. Correct? This "Open in Restored state" seems to be something IE just likes to do. I don't know why, and I am not sure it can be over-ridden.

I am out of time for today. Maybe I can find out a more permanent solution tomorrow.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I need to add to this because as time goes on I'm seeing more strange behavior.

>> However, regardless of how you last closed Excel, IE decides to open Excel in the "Restored" state. Even if you last closed it Maximized, IE does not care. It is going to open it at the lasted Restored size. So... it you make your last Restored size large enough, the IE will open the file in a fairly large window -- but never Maximized.

I keep running into situations where IE will open Excel into a tiny window smaller than the last "Restored" window Excel was in. If I remember correctly this occurs sometimes when I open a second instance of IE after I have resized Excel from a tiny window to a near full screen window in the first instance of IE. When I open Excel in the second instance of IE it opens at the same small size as it did in the first instance so I have to resize it again. I just tried it and it did not do this, but it was doing it yesterday . . .

Now I am also seeing IE open up at the same small size (and in the same position on the screen) when launched from links in an existing instance of IE or from messages in Outlook. What I find interesting is that this small window is the exact same size and in the same position on screen for both Excel and IE.

It may be a coincidence, but I just received the Q828750 update to IE a couple of days ago. I was not experiencing this strange behavior before the update . . .

ggeinec

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also note, that some "pop ups" open in a small window and these will reset the size also.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.