5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse scroll setting won't stay

About a week or so ago I had a problem where Win2k would not let me log into my existing userid, but instead created a new one (username.domain, instead of just username). I managed to migrate most, if not all, of my settings to the new id, but I've been having problems with my mouse; every reboot resets the number of lines scrolled back to 1, not my preferred 6, or even the default 3. I would use TweakUI to change the number and things would work well for a while, though not necessarily until the next reboot. I used X-Setup and recorded the registry change:
    <pre>[HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop]
    "WheelScrollLines"="6"</pre>

but on the next reboot the value was again reset back to 1. I manually made the change to the default user as well as my user, but again it will not retain the setting. Every instance of "WheelScrollLines" in the registry has a value of 6, yet it seems that no matter how I change this value it keeps getting reset.

What could be making this change to the system?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mouse scroll setting won't stay

Have you tried reinstalling the mouse driver?
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That was one of the first things I tried; downloaded the latest driver from Logitech and installed it in place, but no effect. Then uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled. Then went into the hardware manager, removed the mouse, and let it be 'found' anew. And now, after a couple of reboots, plus cleaning out two MiMail-infected .tmp files, I'm back to 1 line of scrolling for HKCU and HK_UsersS-1-5...., but not HK_Users.Default.

The way it is behaving makes me think it's detecting an error in the registry and restoring a previous version, but I am not getting any error messages to support this theory. Is there any way to log the bootup process to see if this is where the change is being made?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There's an ideal tool for you to log registry reads/writes at Sysinternals. An old favorite of mine, RegMon.

You might also check the permissions on that particular registry key to make sure that SYSTEM has full access. For that matter, just to be sure, you might consider giving Everyone full access for one boot cycle to see if it helps.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to give RegMon a try and see if I can catch it changing the setting, but I don't know quite what you mean by permissions for the registry. There are two user accounts set up, Administrator (logs into computer) and my user (logs into corporate domain), and both are set up as full admin accounts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Each registry key has permissions assigned to it just like files in an NTFS file system. If you right-click on the registry key, you will see the Permissions option as one of the menu choices.

I suggest this because I have had problems with Symantec's software refusing to install properly, and although it was not documented on their website, permissions were the cause. The installer coughed up several errors before I finally figured it out and changed the permissions on the Symantec keys that it was trying to write to. No guarantees that it will fix anything in relation to this issue, but it is something to look at.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

When logic and reason fail, I run chkdsk /r against the drive where the registry lives. If nothing else, it is reassuring. And at least once, a chkdsk correction stabilized a funky setting (perhaps a coincidence).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to get to the 'permissions' using regedt32, but not the regular regedit. Didn't make any difference though. Everything I've been able to do, only to have Windows revert back, reminds me of Windows File Protection, but with SP4 I can't turn this feature off to see if somehow it is the culprit. I'm starting to get of the mind to have the system re-installed, not just because it's a bit overdue (close to a 1 1/2 years, with a lot of patches and upgrades, installs and uninstalls), but also since something obviously went wrong with it when it spontaneously decided it had to create the new user accounts. It's just a very bad time of year for it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps a reinstall is the way to go. Personally, I find it easier than dealing with the weirdness sometimes.
    -Mark