Thanks

Can't Close 'Extra' PSTs (2003)

Following Microsoft's instructions on converting an ANSI-based PST file to a Unicode, I found myself with multiple PSTs listed in folder view. In trying to fix this, I now have 2 extra PSTs listed. These are not listed under File/Data_File_Management and if I right-click to close, I receive "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I haven't found a solution here nor in Microsoft's knowledgebase, but came across a VBScript that might work (I think it's from Microsoft's knowledgebase), but I haven't a clue when it comes to VBScript. Here's the script:

Set myNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set myFolder = myNS.Folders("Personal Folders")
    myNS.RemoveStore myFolder

The PST I want to keep is called "My Personal Folders", and both extra PST references are called "Personal Folders". If the above will get rid of these extra references, can it be run as is, or does it need to be modified to work. Should Outlook be open or closed while this is run. Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm sure if I try to address this again, I'll end up with 3 instances... :-(

Thanks

Re: Can't Close 'Extra' PSTs (2003)

This bit of VBA code is meant to be run from inside an Outlook procedure. (VBScript will not recognize "Application" to mean Outlook.)

> myNS.Folders("Personal Folders")

Yes, you will need to change "Personal Folders" to be the "friendly name" (not the actual file name) as it appears in the folder tree. Bad news: if two different PSTs have the same friendly name, the behavior of this code is unpredictable.

Have you tried editing the services for this profile from the Mail control panel? Close Outlook first, of course, and then see if you can remove the data files from there.

Thanks

Unfortunately, going to Control Panel/Mail (or Data File Management) does not list/recognize the 2 extra Personal Folders. This certainly getting beyond me...

Thanks

Search is down right now, but I believe MaryJ has previously posted a fix for "ghost" PSTs. It might have involved registry tweaking, but I really don't remember. I'm sure she will be around in the next day or so. Hopefully this is only a minor annoyance in the interim.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you simply right click the extra PST's and close them?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Tried closing the PST as you suggest. "The operation failed. An object could not be found." is returned by Outlook.