2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

problem ordering report (2000)

Thanks to Charlotte for helping me with my previous post. I implemented your advice last night and it worked great....only now I have another problem. I have a report that shows all patients with source="A" and, depending on the user's input, will show all notes for each patient, only type "A" notes for each patient, or only the most recent type "A" note for each patient. The queries for this report are based on tblPatients and tblNotes. My problem: I need the report to be ordered by LastName, FirstName, and NoteDate - in that order. The query upon which the report is based is ordered correctly. However, I cannot get the report to display with the patients in the correct order. I think that part of my problem is that I had to group the report on PatientID because when I didn't, if I had multiple patients with the same last name, only one was showing up with his notes and the notes of the other patient with that last name. How do I deal with this? If I'm not being clear, please let me know, and I'll try to clarify.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: problem ordering report (2000)

Reports ignore the sort order applied in the record source, so in fact it is more efficient *not* to sort the data in the query. You should set the sort order in the Sorting and Grouping window. Try setting it as follows:

LastName - sort Ascending, no Group Header or Group Footer
    FirstName - sort Ascending, no Group Header or Group Footer
    PatientID - sort Ascending, with a Group Header or Group Footer, so that notes of one patient will be grouped together.
    NoteDate - sort Ascending, no Group Header or Group Footer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I will try.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans! It seems like my problem was rooted in the fact that my queries were ordered. Even though I had the sorting and grouping done correctly on the report, the ordered fields on the query were messing up the way the report displayed. I removed all Order by fields on the query, made sure that the sorting & grouping were correct on the report & voila..it displayed in the correct order without "eating up" patients with the same last name. Kudos.