3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Loading addins on a Server (Excel 2002 sp 2)

We have Office XP installed by the administrator on a server with Win 2000 server and also installed an application that uses xla addins that were installed under the Administrators Cocuments and SettingsAdministratorApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART folder path and running Excel as administrator the addins get loaded.

Using MS Terminal services other users can log in to that same server and access Excel, so we also placed the Addins into
    Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART but Excel does not load the addins, as a matter of fact the Addins are not listed in the Addins dialog. Other than have a COM addin load the xla addins does anyone have a suggestion as to how to have the xla based addins load automatically upon startup ofr a network installation?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Loading addins on a Server (Excel 2002 sp 2)

If I read your post correctly you are installing the add-ins locally, not on a server, right?

Moreover, there is no need to put an add-in in excel's XLSTART directory, they can be anywhere. You then install them using Tools, Add-ins, browse.

But probably you then need to "install" the addin for every user of the system, right?

One way around all of this is to create an XLSTART directory directly below the Office directory, mostly you should then get this folder:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeXLStart

You'll probably have to be in Admin mode to be able to create the folder and copy file(s) into it.

Excel should scan this XLSTART folder for every user on the system.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Everything is on the server, MS Office and the addins which in turn are currently placed under the Admin user path:
    driveocuments and SettingsadminApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART and the addin gets loaded when the admin user opens Excel. If another user logs onto the server they of course can access Excel but the Addin is not auto loaded because it is a different user. So I moved the Excel addin to
    Drive:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Startup but Excel does not find this Addin even if I log o as the admin it doesn't find it. MS Word does find a Word addin if it is placed into this same folder. I have added a XLStart folder just under Office10 with no success as well as under the folder Startup , no success.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

But if you look at Jan-Karel's post, you will see that - translating into Office XP settings - he is rerferring to :Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10XLStart. At the moment, you are using a different folder - which is recognised by Word, but not by Excel. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried that, it doesn't work. Note this is a server install, Win 2000 server, Office XP and I am access via terminal services. I can log in as the admin who installed the addin and the xla does not get loaded, and of course a regular logged in user gets the same result. Now for the Word addin both the admin and the regular user the addin gets loaded.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using the Startup folder, you should succeed with Word but not Excel. If you are using the Office10XLStart folder, you should succeed with Excel and not with Word.

This may not be the most elegant of alternatives, but....... On Tools|Options|General, there is an alternate start-up location - immediately under the default file location. Try putting the address of whatever folder you have stored the Add-In there. Be careful which folder you choose, Excel will try to open ANY files that are in that folder.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As Unkamunka has already stated, you need to use

Drive:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10XLSTART

not

Drive:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Startup

Alternatively, just install the add-in using Tools, add-ins, browse . But that may have to be repeated for each user.
    If you need an automated way, download my name manager from the site below my signature. It cointains a setup (Excel) file which is unprotected so you can study the code to automate setup of an add-in.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I did try as Unkamunka has already stated "Drive:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10XLSTART" which works fine on my desktop or laptop but for some odd reason this di=oes not work when Office is installed on a server and logging in to that server via MS Terminal services. I suspect it may have something to do with terminal services but just am not sure yet. Still I think I will create a COM addin that will check the addins collection for the addins I wish to load and load them that way, etc. since the COM addins are always getting loaded. Nice site you have and I will keep you in mind for some consulting help since my company creates alot of Office based templates.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'd be happy to take on some work.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com