New Lounger
    Thanks

printer disconnects (XP Home)

I have a new computer, HPa950, with xp home. Almost every session, I get the message "the connection between your computer and your HP Photosmart printer has been lost. Click the warning icon on your task bar to try and reestablish the connection", which does not. The printer is a #7550. I cannot find any pattern. Should I try to reload my printer software? Sometimes it happens while on aol, sometimes off line. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: printer disconnects (XP Home)

Have you checked for updated drivers at HP? Is this a USB device?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I have not checked but I will. And yes it is a usb connection. Thank you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any other USB devices connected? If so, disconnect them, uninstall and reinstall the printer and then reconnect the other devices. If there are no other devices check out your device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controller (something like that) check to see if there is a Mass Storage Device listed under USB controller, if there is delete it and uninstall and reinstall the drivers.
    If that fails you can check out HP.com, they have some troubleshooting steps there and also a toll free tech support phone number if you're in warranty.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Assume you've done the obvious checking of the physical connections at each end to ensure all is well -- any chance of trying a different USB cable, perhaps? With what is both a new computer and printer, this seems an unlikely problem, but, hey, it amazes me that computers ever work at all!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...