Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Assistance (WXP Home)

I've followed the procedure described starting on page 111 of Woody's "Windows XP for Dummies" in an attempt to help a friend with his computer problems using the email connect procedure. Everything went according to plan until I opened the attachment that my friend sent. I get the following error message:

The procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dynamic link library ScrRun.dll.

So I'm at a dead halt. Is there some kind of setup or configuration that I should do prior to attempting to start up this feature?

I saw the post regarding this subject, but it kept referring to some sort of Group setup that seemed applicable only to internal LAN setups or some other large network type application. I'm just trying to connect from one home user to another.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Assistance (WXP Home)

The problem you are having appears to be related to an incorrect version of the DLL file ScrRun. This DLL is the Microsoft Script Runtime, which does not help any but at least we know what it is.

Have you applied Service Pack 1 for Windows XP? If you have, then I would suggest running the System File Checker to ensure all of your core system files are up to date and in the correct versions.

You can also use a tool such as Process Explorer to determine which particular application is using this module and re-install it. It may be that it is not registered properly on your PC, and reinstalling the application that requires it could fix the problem.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

I'm running XP Home SP 1 with all the latest updates installed.

I don't understand your reference to Sysem File Checker -- Where/how do I find/run this utility?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can run the system file checker by going to Start - Run and entering SFC /scannow. Make sure you have your Windows XP installation CD handy. You can also check the options for running it by starting a command prompt (Start - Run - CMD) and entering SFC /? in the command window.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SFC ran with no problems.

I searched the net and came upon the following suggestion to re-register the dll.

Run the command: regsvr32 scrrun.dll

That did the trick!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Only the one in post 320826 in this thread to use Process Explorer and see which application is calling scrrun.dll. Perhaps some other Loungers will have other ideas...
    -Mark