New Lounger
    Thanks

Help with Outlook 98 attachments management

Hi, I'm using Outlook 98 and I have a problem with the way it handles attachments. Basically, I want to be able to save received files on our file server, and Outlook does not ask me if I want to do so for some file extensions (.doc). It seems I have done something wrong once with a .doc file, and now I can't decide whether I want to open the file or to save it.
    Now, each time I select a .doc attachment in a message, it opens the .doc file in my c:temp, which quickly becomes crowded. I have browsed the online help (and even explored my registry) and found no way out of it. Can I revert back to its original behaviour without having to disinstall/ reinstall the whole software? Thanks in advance for your help,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help with Outlook 98 attachments management

you can change it in windows explorer, tools > folder options > file associations. find doc and check confirm open after download. the exact steps will vary dependiong on your operating system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help with Outlook 98 attachments management

Henri
    I'm a little puzzled by your posting, as I don't properly understand what it is you are asking for.
    If you double click on a .doc attachment in an Outlook email, it is normal behaviour for the document to be opened in Word. Since nothing can actually be opened on the Exchange server itself, Outlook downloads a copy of the attachment to your local hard disc; this is stored in C:Temp.
    If you want to save the document to a networked drive, you can either open it as above and then do File | Save As (if you want to read the document first) or else you can right click on the attachment and choose Save As from the drop down menu (which obviously just saves the attachment without opening it).
    Does this answer your question? If not, please can you provide some more detail on what it is you want to do.
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS for your Help (& some additional info)

Thanks MaryJ. You perfectly saw it. I could have spent a long time looking in Outlook-related resources for a Windows-based solution.
    As I'm French and use a French copy of NT4 WS, I phoned an Irish friend of mine who could double-check Windows dialog boxes and confirm me the option's exact location. And... it works! God bless Woody and all his friends.
    Additional info for Brian:
    The problem came when I selected an enclosed .doc attached file, not when I double-clicked on it. Yes, I did this when the message was not opened in a window of its own, and maybe I could still have 1) opened the message, 2) accessed the Save as menu item, but I merely right-clicked on the yellow clipping.
    And... we do NOT have an Exchange server, we have a brand-new Linux-based e-smith gateway and mail server which performs brilliantly (with 6 users) on a 64 Mb RAM-166 MHz Pentium (would you give Exchange a try on this config, man...)