Star Lounger
    Thanks

passwording folders (XP home /sp1)

I was Wondering if there is a way to password a fold on my computer without having to set up user accounts because i know that i can make a folder private by Right clicking it and going to sharing and security and ticking the box, make this folder private but when i click OK it says i have got to create a password for my user account witch i don't want as this is a shared computer and when i set up more then one account my computer slows down to a snails pace plz help

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: passwording folders (XP home /sp1)

It is not possible to password a folder without passwording the entire account that has access to the folder - and thus setting up two user accounts.

It is somewhat surprising to hear that you have very poor performance when you have more than one user account. What are the specifications to your machine: RAM, Hard Disk size and Processor Size? If you are unsure how to check these, the RAM and the Processor Size are shown under Control Panel|System on the first (General) Tab. The Hard Disk size should be shown in My Computer in Windows Explorer.
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

my computer has 512 ram a 80GB hard disk and a 2.5Ghz intel celeron.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That should be more than enough resources. Have you been using "fast switching" between profiles - that is not fully logging out of one profile when you enable the other?
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i do usually use fast switch should i stop using that

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You might try that. It depends on what programs (and how many) you leave loaded when you switch.

As a first step, I would sggest closing some of the programs before you fast switch. If you use a lot of "tray" programs that run in the background, that also might affect your performance.
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Better yet, do NOT switch but log out of one account and then log in to the other.

When you "Switch" accounts, ALL open programs and files are copied to the hard drive and then the second account is opened. If you switch back to the first account, the current account is saved to disk and then the first account is read in to open the first account. This can take several minutes and I have seen up to 10 minutes for this to happen.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.