Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving a Reocrd (Access 2000)

I have a subform that has a drop down box and a text field. The text field counts how many records there are based on the primary key of the parent form. I have an after update event that saves the record and recalculates the text field count. So everytime I add a record, I get a new number. I then reference this code on the parent form and based on the number of records I have the code insert information. My problems comes when I go to delete a record on the sub form. It does not recalculate the count. I have tried docmd.runcommand accmdsaveRecord but nothing seems to work when deleting. Is there anything I can do that will allow me to delete the record and recalculate my count? I am deleting the record by using the cut method. The toolbar does not exist because it is a modal and popup form. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving a Reocrd (Access 2000)

I don't think that your problem has anything to do with, or can be solved by, saving a record. Probably, you need a Recalc somewhere. But you don't provide enough information. The role of the subform is not clear to me - why do you have a text box on a subform to count the number of records in the parent form? And what is the control source of this text box?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You would be better advised to put a Delete button on your subform and have a DeleteRecord routine in the code behind it. How are you calculating the recordcount now? Without seeing the code, it's hard to suggest a change that will make it more flexible.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The txtCountRecords is an unbound control on the sub form that calculates how many errors have been assigned. (hidden). The form is a "many" form that stores errors on related to a claim. My parent form has a button that audits the claim (onCLick) and if the number is greater than 0, it assigns an error and suspends it for review. If the count is 0 it does not assign the error and closes the claim out. My code on the parent form where the audit button sits is
    Private Sub cmdMarkAsAudited_Click()
    On Error GoTo err_cmdMarkAsAudited_click

Dim strAnswerAudit As String

If Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual.frmAuditorErrorInd ividual!txtCountOfErrors = "0" Then
    strAnswerAudit = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to audit this claim", vbYesNoCancel)
    If strAnswerAudit = vbYes Then
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!auditor = DLookup("[user_name]", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_users", "[windows_logon]=getuser()")
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!audit_date = FormatDateTime(Now(), vbShortDate)
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!COMPLETED_BY = DLookup("[user_name]", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_users", "[windows_logon]=getuser()")
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!completed_date = FormatDateTime(Now(), vbShortDate)
    chkExamError = "0"

Else:

DoCmd.CancelEvent

End If
    ElseIf Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual.frmAuditorErrorInd ividual!txtCountOfErrors > "0" Then
    strAnswerAudit = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to audit this claim", vbYesNoCancel)
    If strAnswerAudit = vbYes Then
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!auditor = DLookup("[user_name]", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_users", "[windows_logon]=getuser()")
    Forms!frmAuditorAuditIndividual!audit_date = FormatDateTime(Now(), vbShortDate)
    chkExamError = "-1"

Else:

DoCmd.CancelEvent
    End If
    End If

exit_cmdMarkAsAudited_click:
    Exit Sub

err_cmdMarkAsAudited_click:
    Resume exit_cmdMarkAsAudited_click

End Sub

Is there a different process I can use to count the records instead of counting them in the text box?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

DoCmd.CancelEvent is actually a macro action and is not the equivalent of the Cancel argument for an event. It isn't doing anything in your code and you can remove it. Your are setting chkExamError to a string value, but I don't see anywhere that you use it. If it is a checkbox on your parent form, its value is numeric, not a string. This code doesn't have anything to do directly with the subform count Hans question was how you were populating the count textbox in the first place.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The reason why the ckhExamError is a string is because it is the only way to populate the underlying Oracle table I have linked. The code for the unbound txtcount is

=DCount("*","ssd_owner_doc_flo_audit_errors","[foreign_id]=Forms![frmAuditorAuditIndividual]![id]") Can I skip this txt field and just put that is my if..then statement?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To be honest, I understand very little of what you are doing here, but it seems to me that the code could be simplified to

Private Sub cmdMarkAsAudited_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdMarkAsAudited_Click

If MsgBox("Are you sure you want to audit this claim", vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbYes Then
    Me!auditor = DLookup("[user_name]", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_users", _
    "[windows_logon]=getuser()")
    Me!audit_date = Date
    If DCount("*", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_audit_errors", _
    "[foreign_id]=Forms![frmAuditorAuditIndividual]![id]") = 0 Then
    Me!COMPLETED_BY = DLookup("[user_name]", "ssd_owner_doc_flo_users", _
    "[windows_logon]=getuser()")
    Me!completed_date = Date
    chkExamError = "0" ' False would be clearer
    Else
    chkExamError = "-1" ' True would be clearer
    End If
    End If
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdMarkAsAudited_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
    End Sub

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simplifying really works. I was trying to recalculate the count on the sub form when I should have been calculating it on the parent form within my onclick procedure. Thanks again for your help. It works perfect and I don't have to keep the txtcount field on my sub form anymore.

Thanks