New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting Report to html format

I am attempting to build a web site with links to an Access Report but am having trouble retaining the format of the report when converting it to an html document. I have tried exporting it as an html as well as converting the report to an .rtf in Word, neither retains the correct formatting. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions that might prove helpful? Thanks for any help!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Interested in an Answer on This Too

I just set up a toolbar option for a client which allows the users to save their Access reports in RTF format. Before I did so I did a quick look at saving reports in Excel format and HTML, but neither were at all close to the actual Access report.

Do you have the ability to save the report to PDF format? Someone else mentioned saving reports in snapshot format, but I don't know that it works any better, much less converts to HTML.

Have you tried dummying up a simple report in Word, linked to the Access database to see if a Word document convert to HTML better than an Access document?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting Report to html format

I was confronted with the same problem a few months ago, and found it a very tricky one. I finally came up with a solution that's been working well ever since, but I'm not sure you will think it helps.

My eventual solution was to use an Access report to produce the HTML code for the page rather than the page itself, save this as a .rtf file, open it in Word and save it again as a text file but with a .html extension.

The report contains the same sections as the original report, apart from page headers and footers (the report all goes to one HTML page). Text boxes remain in the same sections as in the original report, usually with unchanged contents. All the layout information goes into labels between the text boxes. Column alignments are obtained by using tables that have their opening tags in group headers and the closing tags in group footers. Note that the entire <head> section of the HTML code, plus the opening <body> tag goes into the Report Header section, with the closing </body> and </html> tags in the Report Footer section.

To ensure that the .rtf output includes all the HTML code and in the correct order, all text boxes and labels should be lined up in order flush with the left-hand edge of the report, and so that no two controls overlap. Controls must be large enough to contain all their contents: otherwise bits of code will mysteriously disappear when output to .rtf. For the same reason, though, make certain that they aren't so large as to extend into margins.

The above description does not even start to mention many minor difficulties; and if you don't have expertise in editing HTML by hand, you have to gain it fast. But it can be done: I've been posting the resulting HTML code (all 300K of it) daily to my employer's intranet for the past three months. And the page shows exactly what it should and validates as HTML 4.0.

But it's scarcely a simple solution.

Peter Wilkinson