Thread: Linking (2000)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking (2000)

Hello, I have a number of reports that users run themselves but I want these reports to stand in an application seperate to the main database so that the users cannot access the tables, queries etc? How can I do this?

Thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking (2000)

User-level security is the best way to limit access. Moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a tutorial, with useful links, about security on his website (you will find a link in his profile; look for Support > Tutorials > The Secrets of Security)

You can combine this with a back end - front end approach, in which the back end database contains only tables, and the front end all other objects, plus linked tables that refer to the real tables in the back end. But without security, users would still be able to open tables and queries.

If you only want to prevent users from opening tables etc. by accident, you can use the startup options (Tools |Startup...) to hide the database window etc. But this will not help against malevolent users.

It would be a lot of work to create a standalone application in VB6, since Access reports don't work in VB6, you would have to create new reports from scratch.