Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy/Paste (Word 2002/2003)

For the past number of months I am unable to copy and paste into Word 2002/2003 unless I open Word first. If I highlight and select text from Outlook or any other source such as a Web page and then open Word, there is no paste option. I must open Word and then do the highlight and copy. Paste is then available. Detect/Repair does not fix. Also it only happens on this one computer. None of the other computers at this site experience this problem. It also happened after I completely reconfigured the computer with a new drive and a clean install of Windows XP Pro and MS Office.

Thanks in advance,
    apapkin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy/Paste (Word 2002/2003)

There are some add-ins that clear the clipboard when Word is started (I think the Word in Works Suite is one of those)

Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Acrobat used to be another add-in that did this too.

The add-ins usually have the common factor of making changes to a toolbar to show their own buttons despite the fact that you may have hidden them last time you were in Word. Ensuring the button faces were correct used a copy/paste operation which would wipe whatever you had in the clipboard.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gang:

Not sure I made myself clear. After I open Word, copy/paste works perfectly in both versions. If I select text and copy before opening Word, then no paste is available until I go back and redo the highlight and copy.

apapkin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your description corresponds to what Andrew Lockton and I suspect: the clipboard is cleared when Word starts - it works OK once Word is started. The culprit is usually an add-in that loads with Word; Andrew explained what could be behind it.

The troubleshooting guide I posted a link to will let you pinpoint the cause (hopefully.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys, it's fixed. HansV's suggestion that an add-in was causing the problem turned out to be right on the money. It was an add-in called "address fixer." It comes from the Dymo Label software. I don't need it in Word. As soon as I removed it from the Office STARTUP directory all copy/paste problems went away.

Thanks again,
    apapakin