Thread: Lost DLL (2000)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost DLL (2000)

I installed an evaluation version of Project 2000 and it kept producing error messages, something like cannot find dll file, which I kept ignoring so that I could at least get the application loaded. Now, when I try and open Access 2000 it produces the error message 'Cannot find MSJet 40 dll' and then aborts. How can I re-establish the link to this DLL?? Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost DLL (2000)

Start Windows Explorer...
    Select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the View tab.
    Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.

Use Start | Search... to locate MSJet40.dll
    If it really is missing, do a Detect and Repair from the Help menu in Access.

If you can find it, note its location. On my PC (Win XP) it is in C:WindowsSystem32.
    Select Start | Run...
    Type Regsvr32 "C:WindowsSystem32MSJet40.dll" using the path you wrote down, then press Enter.

Post back if this doesn't solve the problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll try it when I get home, thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found the file in c:windowssystem (I'm using Windows 98). When I attempted to Run the suggested app I obtained the error message 'LoadLibrary(c:windowssystemmsjet40.dll") failed. GetLastError returns 0x000000b.'

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This might mean that the DLL is corrupt. Try the following: rename msjet40.dll (for example to msjet40.old) or move it to another folder. Then try to start Access and select Help | Detect and Repair.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This hasn't worked, and I cannot use Detect and Repair because it says it's not installed. Any other ideas? (Excuse the long delays, but I haven't needed to use Access for a while).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Detect and Repair not installed? I think it's time to reinstall Office, or at least Access. First, try installing Office / Access again on top of the current installation, without uninstalling first. That should preserve all your settings. If that doesn't help either, uninstall Office 2000 completely and reinstall it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I posted a Windows prob to state that I cannot access programs in my Control Panel (Access the the specified device is denied), so cannot run Add/Remove Programs at the moment. I hate the idea of reinstalling Office anyway. Is there not somewhere in the Registry that tells Access where the dll file is located?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

From your description, there is much more wrong than a missing or corrupt msjet40.dll. I doubt that changing a single registry key will repair it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to advise that, SUCCESS, I've resolved the problems by down-loading a service pack from Microsoft. I think this must have re-installed MsJet 40.dll.