5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracing Documents (2000)

For a Document Management System some received documents are related to previous documents, and our database needs to reflect this. One of these linked documents may also be linked to another previous document. How would it be best to create such a structure? Should I just create a linked table with a field for the particular document (code) along with related document (codes), i.e. fields called DocumentID and PrevDocumentID? How would it then be possible to track all the way back to an original document? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracing Documents (2000)

A table structure such as you propose would be a good way to do it, although I don't know what you mean by "linked table" in this context.

How you are going to use it, is another matter. You could display the documents in a TreeView ActiveX control, or you could write a function that opens a recordset, and traces the "ancestor" of a specific document until it comes to an item without ancestor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, it will be SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) but I was interested in how it might be dealt with. If you have a separate table which shows the current documentID and, as a separate field, the (first) previous documentID, it should be possible in theory to track back as far as necessary to find an original document. However, the query that would do this would be VERY complicated I suspect?!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You would use a VBA function for that (in a query, if you like.) Since the number of "ancestors" of the current document can vary, I don't think it is realistic to do this in a standard query without using a custom function.