3 Star Lounger
    London, England

DoCmd.RunSQL (2000)

Mostly when I update tables from code I create a little SQL UPDATE, INSERT or DELETE string, turn SetWarnings to False then run the SQL using DoCmd.RunSQL. It's easy code to write and I suspect that it might run faster than opening up tables and explicitly changing field contents with ADO or DAO. However, I do not get any indication if something goes wrong. Is there any way, other than searching the updated tables for the presence/absence of my changes, to find out if a DoCmd.RunSQL operation has been successful? Also, I was once at a meeting where some people were recommending against its use, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember their arguments. Is DoCmd.RunSQL frowned upon and, if so, is there an alternative?

Plutonium Lounger

Re: DoCmd.RunSQL (2000)

In itself, RunSQL is often a good way to execute an action macro, since you stay within the Access interface. But I mostly use the Execute method of the DAO Database object. Since it uses DAO directly, it is more efficient than RunSQL. You can use the Errors collection of the DAO DBEngine object to retrieve all error messages associated with the action. The only downside is that in some situations, you can get an error message that another user has modified your data; this is because you bypass the Access interface.

Example code (you need to have set a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library for this):

Sub TestExecute
    Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim errLoop As DAO.Error
    Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "UPDATE Table Set Field = Value WHERE Condition"
    Set dbs = CurrentDb

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    dbs.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError

Set errLoop = Nothing
    Set dbs = Nothing
    Exit Sub

If DBEngine.Errors.Count > 0 Then
    For Each errLoop In DBEngine.Errors
    MsgBox errLoop.Description
    Next ErrLoop
    End If
    Resume ExitHandler
    End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: DoCmd.RunSQL (2000)

In addition to the method Hans suggests, you can create a temporary querydef in code and execute that. You don't need to set warnings off and the querydef object has a RecordsAffected property that will tell you how many items were affected by the query.