2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forced Default Homepage (Explorer 6)

Someone change my default homepage. I went intop Tools, Options, General ... and typed in the address I like, then click ok. However, if I click on the "Use Default ", it still goes back to the forced homepage.

How do I change the "default" ?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forced Default Homepage (Explorer 6)

TQ2--

Usually when that happens there has been a change of a registry key or keys which is not that big of a deal. It happened to me when ATT switched to Comcast.net. While the browser highjacker apps can handle this, most of the time simply running Ad-Aware will pick these up in the list at the end of the run and simply clicking on "delete" in the Adaware prompt will get you back to making your default homepage stick. Make sure when you run Adaware, if you haven't before, that you always click on the little globe on it's toolbar to update it's reference data base which changes a couple times or so a week.

Here are the links to Adaware and other anti-spyware:

Post 296439

Ed by SMBP: If Adaware won't take care of it, and I expect it will, you can follow Ken's suggestion to run Hijack This! also linked in the post.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

TQ2--

This is the way Adaware would show a registry key change that has been made by a hijacker, and a high percent of the time it will take care of it.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried both Adware and Spybot, but nothing worked. It keeps going back to another site. The site name is www.MTV911.com. Any help ?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know anything particular about that site, but if you tried both of them, and made sure to get AdAware's updated reference data base by clicking the globe, then I'd move to a different line of weapon--the browser hijacker zappers. HiJack This! is linked several times in the thread with the post mentioned above. Also you can view it in flat mode and get some context on the hijacker weapons. Browser Hijack Blaster is another. BHO Demon may also help.

There is also a way not to have to worry about what happens to your home page on that General Tab which is why I was more annoyed at the sneakiness of some of these companies like Comcast in trying to hijack a homepage--you can use Dave's Quick Search Taskbar Toolbar and the browser is ready to use within your taskbar with a number of search engines.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

When is it changing? If it keeps changing back after you reboot, then you have a script running at startup that modifies your registry. You need to run HijackThis or StartupList to figure out what this is. Another option is Jason Levine's ScriptSentry. If it changes NOT when you are rebooting, then something is running from Scheduled Tasks or somewhere else. ScriptSentry would still be able to catch it.

The "home page seting" is simply a registry entry that can be found here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain
    "Start Page" = "..."

However, any program or script can modify that value at any time. You cannot "lock" that value without using a third-party program. If that value keeps changing, then something is actively doing it.

As I read your post again, I have another question. Does the site ONLY change after you click "Use Default"? Does it NOT change if you DON'T click "Use Default"?

If it is the Default setting that is bothering you, then that is stored here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain
    "Default_Page_URL" = "..."

You can run this as a .reg file and it will make the default to a blank page:

-------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain]
    "Start Page"="about:blank"
    "Default_Page_URL"="about:blank"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain]
    "Start Page"="about:blank"
    "Default_Page_URL"="about:blank"

--------------------------------------------------

That essentially clears all the settings to blank. You can then go in and set the Home Page in IE to whatever you want. This will work -- until something else comes along and changes it!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HiJack did it ! Great. Many thanks !