New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 98 Desktop Problem also TweakUI

I suddenly developed a problem with the appearance of my desktop with two things happening. 1. About one inch of space above the taskbar has become a barrier of some kind in that the bottom of any windows I maximize can not penetrate that area even if I drag their bottom line downwards, that's as far as it can go. 2. On the taskbar, there have been a number of icons in the Quick Launch area at the bottom left, and the bars for running programs have been to their right. Now their positions are reversed.

I have tried to find a reason for these changes and have been unsuccessful in changing back to the original display. I have looked at postings in this area for ideas that may relate to this and tried some of the things mentioned. One post said something about using TeakUI which I downloaded but can't run. It came as a self-unzipping file but after unzipping it, there is no exe to run it with.

I would appreciate any suggestions re the desktop and also re installing and running TeakUI. Many thanks.

Ernie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Win 98 Desktop Problem also TweakUI

Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/6/43.ASP>Q190643 How to Install and Uninstall the TweakUI Tool in Windows 98 </A>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ernie:

As far as the 1" space, check the settings on your monitor. You can adjust the size of a display & this might be the problem.

As far as the Quick Launch toolbar, there's a vertical bar on the left of the toolbar. You can drag that (mouse cursor will change to an outline) to the other side of the taskbar.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thanks for the tip. Dragging the left bar did the trick. About the space at the bottom of my display, the display size is not the problem as the Start button, etc. is at the bottom of the monitor. The problem is that any window that opens leaves an empty 1" space between its bottom and the taskbar, etc. and nothing will go into it, like dragging an icon, etc. Somehow something is locking out use of that space, it's weird. Thanks again for your help.

Ernie

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm guessing, but trying to see what could make a difference. What happens if you boot into safe mode? Is there still a gap?

You might want to right click the desktop & choose Properties/Appearance & look at the settings. I can't picture anything that would cause a 1" gap at the bottom.

Thanks

Sounds like you might have experimented with some display drivers that got things a bit confused. I don't know if this is possible: can you delete your display somewhere and have Windows "autodetect" it? Perhaps that is too radical - what happens if you drop down to standard VGA (640x480)?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just wanted to thank all those who replied to my post and to let you know the latest status of the problem, which is partially but not completely solved. I have Norton System Works 2000 which starts up running System Doctor and shows a small window in the middle right of the screen showing two rows of various sensors it uses. I usually click to minimize it and keep it monitoring my system. This window took a strange turn which I now realize coincided with the loss of the bottom one inch of my display that I originally reported on. At that time, the System Doctor display for some unknown reason showed up as one row of sensors at the bottom left in that 1" space just above the Start button. When that happened, I minimized it but somehow it leaves that 1" unusable by other programs, which it did not do in its previous position. I found that if I exit System Doctor instead of minimizing it, the 1" is regained. I have not been able to find anything in System Doctor or in any *.ini files that let's me tell it where it should be on the screen, so I now exit it to get the full screen. I will check with Norton to see what can be done. Again, thanks all.