2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switchboard Image (2000 SR-1)

I've got a switchboard set up with three different menus. Is there any way to change the image or text that displays with each menu? I want to assure the user that they are in the right place.

Thanks,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switchboard Image (2000 SR-1)

Is this a switchboard created with Tools | Database Utilities | Switchboard Manager, or some other design? If the latter, can you tell a bit about how it works?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using a switchboard built with the switchboard manager? If so, it is really only one form with the label captions changed for the "page" and unused controls hidden as necessary. If by image and text, you mean the graphics and labels on the switchboard itself, you would have to do it in code based on the SwitchboardID value of that page.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There's a main switchboard with buttons for Reports and Reference switchboards (as defined in the Switchboard manager). The same heading displays on each switchboard. Using the SwitchboardID value in the Switchboard Items table seems to make sense. Are the fields in the Switchboard Items table standardized?

Thanks,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I gather you are using the switchboard created by the Switchboard Manager. This form uses the Switchboard Items table; this table has a fixed structure. You could add a field to it to store the name of the picture for each switchboard, but to keep things simple, you can do everything you need in the code behind the form.

Before doing that, open the Switchboard Items table. Look for records whose ItemNumber value is 0. The ItemText value for these records is the name of the switchboard page. You will need to know the relation between SwitchboardID and ItemText for these records, e.g. SwitchboardID = 1 corresponds to ItemText="Main Menu" etc.

Open the Switchboard form in design view, then select View | Code.
    Scroll down until you see the HandleButtonClick function. This function is invoked when the user clicks an item in the Switchboard form.
    The part that switches between different switchboard pages is:

' Go to another switchboard.
    Case conCmdGotoSwitchboard
    Me.Filter = "[ItemNumber] = 0 AND [SwitchboardID]=" & rs![Argument]

Add the following code below those lines, and adapt it to your situation:

Select Case rs![Argument]
    Case 1
    Me.Controls("Picture").Picture = "C:AccessOne.gif"
    Case 2
    Me.Controls("Picture").Picture = "C:AccessTwo.gif"
    ' add more Cases if necessary
    End Select

Note: the caption of the Switchboard form changes as you move to another switchboard page.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Could you do the following:
    Me.Controls("Picture").Picture = rs![Argument]

and setup the picture addresses in the Argument of the switchboard table, as long as the Argument field in the table is text.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is problematic, since the Argument field is also used to specify the default switchboard page. You could, however, add an extra field to the Switchboard Items table, and use that to store the paths and file names of the images. The Switchboard Manager doesn't mind, as long as you don't change the definitions of the existing fields. You will have to enter the paths manually, for the Switchboard Manager won't expand itself to accomodate the extra field...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SwitchboardID is the field that identifies the "switchboard menu" you're looking at.
    Charlotte