5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailing Labels (2000, XP)

I am preparing labels for a membership list. The list has only one address field, plus a check box if this is business address. There is also a field for Company Name, which I will print on the label if this record has a business address. My problem is that some members have a Company Name, but only a home address, so I don't want to print the Company Name for them. The labels are based on a Query, which has all the fields. I have played with the query criteria, but have been unable to get the correct results. Do I need to put some code in the Label Report?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailing Labels (2000, XP)

Set the Control Source for the company name text box to

=IIf([Check Box],[Company Name],Null)

where Check Box must be replaced with the name of the Yes/No field, and Company Name with the name of the - you get the idea. To avoid confusion, don't give the text box the same name as a field. If you set the Can Shrink property for the text box to Yes, text boxes below it will move up if the text box is empty.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works just fine. I had set the Can Shrink property to Yes, but I was fiddling with the logic of the Query instead of the Report. Good idea about giving the text box a different name.
    Thanks,
    Howard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just discovered a minor problem after eyeballing the full list of labels. My label has four lines: Name, Company, Address, City St. Name has Can Grow=Yes, Company has Can Shrink=Yes. If the name is too long it prints on two lines, which is fine. However, The next line is blank. It acts like the Company's Can Shrink has been set to No. This also causes the printer to put only nine rows on a page instead of ten (10 down x 3 across labels). I suspect that the extra line has pushed the labels down off the bottom, so the tenth row is forced to the next page, but I can't see any difference in the line spacing. If the Name fits on one line, everything is OK, Company is suppressed when appropriate.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check carefully that there is no vertical overlap between the controls. The slightest vertical overlap will cancel the CanShrink property. Moreover, in labels, you will want to set both the Can Shrink and Can Grow properties of the section to No.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bingo! I moved the name field up a smidgeon, and Presto, it worked. There was a tiny, unseen overlap between the Name and Company fields.
    Thank,
    Howard