3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Undeliverable email (XP)

What is happening when I reply to an email message and immediately get a message that says "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients." and " Relaying not allowed."

This sounds as if a setting on the recipient's system will not allow replies, but somehow, I think my Outlook may be doing it. Will someone make sense of this for me, please?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Undeliverable email (XP)

"Relaying not allowed" generally is an error message when the Domain from which you are sending does not match the SMTP domain which is actually conveying the message. In plain English, you should try checking your email settings:

If your sending address is sanora@1234.com and your SMTP address - on the Tools|Account Settings tab - is sanora@SMTP.1234.com there should be no problem. The domain address 1234.com matches throughout.

If, however, your sending address is sanora@1234.com and your SMTP address is sanora@SMTP.efgh.com, the email server at the other end spots that 1234.com is not the same as efgh.com. As a security measure - in case the SMTP address (efgh.com) has been highjacked - the mail is blocked. This may be spam.

Hope This Helps
    Gre

Thanks

Re: Undeliverable email (XP)

Another scenario: rather than checking your claimed "from" and "reply-to" e-mail addresses, which can be forged rather easily, ISPs check your computer's IP address, which is harder to fake. "Relaying," that is, forwarding your message, usually will be denied if you are sending through a different ISP than you originally were set up for, because each ISP through which you connect will show your computer as having a different IP addresses.

Example: You used ACME as your dial-up ISP, with the outgoing mail server smtp.acme.com. You subscribed to a broadband service provider, but didn't change your outgoing mail server. Because you are not accessing smtp.acme.com through ACME's network, your attempts to send mail will be denied. This is a necessary anti-spam measure.

Workaround for this Example: Assuming you still receive e-mail on your ACME account, put your broadband provider's outgoing mail server in the ACME account. In other words, you can check multiple different incoming mail accounts, but you use only one outgoing mail server, the one whose network you actually connect through.