Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Personal data 'hidden' on your PC (XP any)

Did you know that a surprising amount of your own personal data is (slightly) hidden on your PC's hard disk?

If you order stuff online and supply credit card details, the credit card number and the three digit security code from the back of the card may be there. If you log on to an online bank. you will have supplied logon userids and passwords. There is a lot more other stuff, all of which could (fairly) easily be stolen by a virus or a trojan.

I can thank SMNP for pointing out a simple program Protected Storage PassView, which I would urge you to try and to see Just How Much Personal Data can be retrieved from Protected Storage (hah!) with a 29 KB program.

Then look up your favourite AntiVirus program's website and look for the trojan Webber (Sophos, other AV manufacturers' names vary). Just such a trojan could steal the above information.

So my question is similar to one asked recently about programs to remove metadata from Word documents:
    Does anyone know of a program that will clear the AutoComplete fields, and other password-type fields from Protected Storage?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal data 'hidden' on your PC (XP any)

There was a piece circulating a few months ago which showed that Microsoft's basic password encryption for NT 4 & 5 (that's NT4 up to XP) was fundamentally vulnerable to high-strength dictionary attacks.

Personally, the only times I have used MS password protection are for working with company controlled email servers and for protecting MS Office files. I would have thought that TweakUI or X-Setup would have the Password clearance options that you seek, but I take it that you have already tried these.

<!profile=bubs>bubs<!/profile> convinced me a while ago that trojans are ultimately far more high-risk than viruses - and less detectable. He recommended TDS-3 - which is specifically anti-trojan.
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    OK, I don't know if I understand you correct, even though your question is straight simple. It would maybe be nice to be able to clear old passwords from Protected Storage, BUT if you for example don't want your password to the e-mail account saved in PS, then don't check the mark "Remember password" in Outlook etc.

As to Autocomplete fields, one can use IE Options dialog box: Content tab / AutoComplete / Clear Forms & Clear Passwords. If you want only to remove some, passwords, go to that site, click in the User name field, press down arrow and delete the selected item. Confirm.

I have a feeling that you already know this, so please forgive me if I have misunderstood something.

However, there is a program, AutoWhat? 2, that can show and delete autocomplete entries, written by Neil Rubenking, org. for win 95, then developed for NT/XP. There is a long story about this in an article on PC Mag site. The program can not be downloaded free anymore from "PC Magazine Utility Library", they have some sort of subscription.
    AutoWhat? 2

Regards,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Argus

You make some very good points - I don't think I've ever visited the Content tab, and associated these options with "Protected Storage"! I presume I thought it was some sort of magic... I will have to selectively unset some of the options, or clear Forms or Passwords, and see what happens.

I suppose what I'm really asking for is <big>Secure, properly Encrypted</big> "Protected Storage" -- but I don't think I'll see this in my lifetime...

Still, it is rather disturbing what you find there...

Yes, the PC Mag download subscription make it impractical to download the odd program every so often, sadly.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...