2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install XP (Pro or Corp Ed.)

Post deleted by Nucthat1

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install XP (Pro or Corp Ed.)

As a first priority, I would expand RAM to at least 256 MB, preferably to 512 MB. Windows XP is going to be sluggish on 128 MB.

As far as I know, the basic choice is Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional, I haven't heard of a Corporate Edition. There was a discussion a while ago, and most Loungers recommended Pro over Home. If you get Windows XP now, you'll automatically get SP-1 (I hope); once you're up and running, you'll have to install a lot of updates that have been released after SP-1.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although I haven't run across anything on the open market with the name Corporate Edition, maybe you mean a business purchased "site" or "enterprise" licensed copy. If so, be careful that you don't get yourself into a sticky situation with your employer. Being retired, I don't know what businesses typically do (or may be permitted to do) for employees with company purchased copies.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not entirely clear what your sources for the versions are. It appears that there may be some issues relating to the genuineness of some copies of Corporate Edition. You may be better off sticking with plain XP Pro - in case you run foul of some future Microsoft measure that may not let you upgrade or patch your version of XP.
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure how to context what a corporate edition is, but do yourself a big favor and go with at least 256 MB or even better depending on what you'll be doing and running 512 MB--XP does love love love it's RAM. RAM is relatively cheap these days still and getting enough will reward you continuously. If you click on subject and search backwards alphabetically, you will see a number of discussions of Home v. Pro and some excellent writeups. I'll try to link a couple posts when free later.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Nucthat--

You might get some context on this thread:

Home vs. Pro Windows XP Lounge November 21, 2003

Home V Pro Windows XP Lounge November 2, 2003

and my favorite lounge post on Pro features here:

Post 192802

Also see:

Windows XP Professional Features

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to echo the sentiments already posted, there is no difference between the corporate edition of Windows XP and the standalone Pro save activation. The corporate edition is pre-activated. Keep in mind that you must have a valid license, though. Even though the software key to install it will work, that copy was paid for somewhere else and it is likely that you should not be using it anywhere but at the facility that paid for the license.

What SPs? Service Pack 1, and all critical updates released since that time. Make sure you think about Al's advice on system RAM. 128MB will sorely disappoint you.
    -Mark