Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update won't work (XP pro)

Have installed XP pro over 98SE.
    I can't get update to work. Won't scan my system. Get error Ox800A138F.
    Went to Microsoft help for this error and followed all their suggstions and none of them work.
    I need update to work so I can download drivers, etc.
    Any ideas of what to do?
    I even thought of uninstalling XP [as install says you can do] but XP converted me from FAT 32 to NTFS and now I can't uninstall because "original hardware configuration has been changed."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows update won't work (XP pro)

Windows Update Fails Error 0x800A138F has lots of things to try.

Thanks

Just a couple quick things.

First, the most direct path to WindowsUpdate is this URL:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Second, it helps to put <big>*.microsoft.com</big> in your Trusted Sites list in IE:
    Tools>Internet Options...>Security tab>[highlight Trusted Sites icon]>Sites... button

(I suggest *.microsoft.com because it covers all of the various servers under microsoft.com)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The key to this problem is that the good people at the Windows Factory in Redmond changed the address of Windows Update after that nasty 'ole Blaster snuck up on people who were patch averse using akami.net: Spyblockers of all stripes can and firewalls like Zone Alarm can often block the address WU is now using which included. Web accelerators can also and with them the problem can often be solved by clicking on a proxy exclusion tab and putting a dot in the "specify proxy exclusion list." then putting in https://v4.Windowupdate.com;http://V4.Windowsupdate.com Try to disable any proxy settings within Internet Explorer, if you can't access the Internet without a proxy then check with your ISP... they have most probably not configured their proxy server correctly. Also, if you run a firewall Windows Update needs ports 80 or 443 open (http and ssl).if you use ad blocking software make sure the domain "akamai.net" is not being blocked. Microsoft runs Windows Update from these servers... unfortunately some pop-up ads are also served by the servers, therefore the domain in sometimes blocked automatically.

Error 0x800a138f; 0x80072f78; 0x80072f76; 0x80072efd

Firewall or proxy related - add *.akamai.net to your trusted sites, or proxy exception list.

Reference Links on the Windows Update Ox800A138F Error Where It Fails to Scan:

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.updatexp.com/0x800A138F.html">Windows Update Fails
    Error 0x800A138F</A>

241783: WINUP: Error Messages When You Use Use Windows Update Through a Proxy Server or a Firewall

312955: Windows Update May Not Work in Windows XP If an Authenticating Web Proxy Is Used

Windows Update Error 0x800a138f, Getting this error when trying to update

Tech Target: Simple Fixes for Win Up Issues

Host blocking may cause Windows Update to silently fail

Also if you are going to use Windows Update, you might find some of these additional threads and links helpful--I prefer not to use it and to use the [/i]Microsoft Security Newsletter[/i] and during the very rare ocassions when the update is not a security hotfix to go to a specific MS site to update a specific item--to each their own. Invitations for a beta to overhall this puppy and consolidate it into and the 8 current platforms MS uses for updates into one glitch free platform went out about 3 weeks ago, and hope springs eternal:

Post 295892

Post 315539

Updates Blocked Lounge Internet Explorer September 21, 2003

hth,

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

An update on the new improved v5 of Windows Update is that Beta Invitations were sent out on September 5; Microsoft began previewing slides of its features at partner meetings in August; Beta Newsgroups on the new Windows Update have just come up; but no Beta has shown up yet.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are having problems with the production version of Windows Update, why in the world would you want to mess with a beta version???
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Because there are so many people having problems with it--during one period in late July/August, if you look at the XP threads in the Lounge Windows Update problems were 75% are more of the threads during one 3 day period a little before Blaster hit--I've seen a lot of the glitches--as you have--they could be eliminated--but although I see MS monitor the ng's closely with new products and betas who knows how much impact the feedback ever has? In a lot of cases it seems to have none, and a lot of good suggestions were made for Office which never saw the light of day--many of them come up in the Lounge.

The other thing that interests me is that when I first heard it discussed by one of their presenters with a great background and a lot of ability she said they were determined to try to eliminate 8 platforms for updating-- and to get rid of the glitches on the ng's and the Troubleshooter. I don't know if this means it will cut across/include SUS, rollups, the Network Security Hotfix Checker (Hfnetchk.exe) Tool but I'm interested in what they'll do--I'm not sure I could name the 8 platforms.

I know I can always get updates easily through the security site if there are problems--and since Blaster and so much press about hotfixes they have places available to download updates everywhere you turn in every newsletter, all over the MS sites, ect.

I suppose all the people who have MSDN subscriptions will be able to get all Betas including this one and the iminent SP2 if they want them.

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I shall say Hosanna to you and Mark Liron every morning for the rest of my life! Tip #5 worked. Somehow, during install of XP the date was changed from 2003 to 2030.
    Everything is now going as it should be. My laptop is downloading updates as we "speak."
    To the others who contributed ideas and feedback, many thanks.