Thread: MRU Fonts

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MRU Fonts

Is there a way to remove a font from the most recently used list (above the line in the Font drop down box? I want to keep the font but just want to remove it from above the line.

BAM

Re: MRU Fonts

Hi Jim,

Yes you can remove the MRU Font list via the Registry.

In the Registry drill down to:
    97: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordOpt ions
    2K: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordOpt ions

And add a new String Value
    Name: NoFontMRUList
    Value Data: 1

If you are unsure about editing the Registry, then locate Support?.dot and run the RegOptions macro. This utility allows you to modify/add misc Registry entries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't want to remove the MRU list of fonts completely, just one font that I accidently used, and probably won't use again. Will the registry change you suggest clean up all my MRU fonts and let me start a new MRU list? If so, that is OK.

BAM

Hi Jim,

This change to the Registry will only turn on/off the MRU Font list.

If you want to reset the list then you would need to recreate the Settings value of the WordData key in the Registry.

I will note that this is a little extreme considering the Setting value stores the majority of your user preferences.

Take a look at this article from the MS Word MVP FAQ site:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/DataKeySettings.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customizatio...KeySettings.htm</A>

It contains a list of the primary preferences the Settings value stores and a method that you can use to recover most of your preferences should you elect to rebuild the value by deleting/renaming it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi BAM:

I'm guessing that after you set the key value to:
    NoFontMRUList
    Value Data: 1

you could build a new MRU list by changing the value to 0 or by deleting this key, rather than touch the Data key. Don't you think so?

BAM

Hi Phil,

In Word 97 the Font MRU had a couple of problems. It wouldn't retain the MRU Font list (Q161810), it wouldn't turn it off (Q186965), and occasionally it wouldn't turn back on after turning it off.

These were supposed to be corrected in Word 2000.

So... the guaranteed method of resetting the MRU Font list is to rebuild the Settings value.

I guess you could also select other fonts to eventually "push" the font you don't want from the list.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!