2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message on startup: Access Denied: drive C (XP)

When I boot up, I get an error message that says
    "Access Denied: drive C."
    If I click on the OK button, I can proceed normally, but this is really a pain. I'm running Norton Utilities and Norton Anti-Virus, and this no doubt has something to do with it, since the dialog box is entitled "Norton Protection: ATTENTION!" I can't find the place to fix it, though. Can anyone help?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message on startup: Access Denied: drive C (XP)

Sheryl--

This error stems from a conflict between Norton Utilties and file sharing being checked. It's also caused by the Norton Recycle Bin being disabled and it's annoying but shouldn't impact anything. Here's the solution--it should be solved by clearing Simple File Sharing which you should clear anyway as a default unless you have a specific reason for it because clearing it makes you more secure. Clearing this box is a frequent Tech TV XP Security tip from Tech TV's shows--they must do it 25 times a year. Also using shift+delete to by pass the recycle bin will help prevent this annoying error box whether you use anything Norton or not.

Error: "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C:" after installing Norton SystemWorks Document ID:2001122707472207 Last Modified:10/22/2003

Error: "Norton Protection: Attention: Access denied, Drive C:" on startup

307874: HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP

319638: You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from a Mounted Drive

243524: "Access Denied" When You Delete Folders from a Mounted Drive

hth,

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message on startup: Access Denied: drive

When during the boot process? As soon as you turn the computer on, before you log on, or after?
    -Mark